Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F-Body is it comming back?

I miss the F-Body.

I hope something like it comes back..The looks of the new GTO are very disappointing imho and the price is way out there.
    I was planning to buy a GTO until I saw it for the first time - "Oh my gawd that looks like a sedan and for $30,000.00 bucks!"
    Is there any plans to bring back the F-Body?

Re: F-Body is it comming back?

Originally posted by TroyZ28
    "Oh my gawd that looks like a sedan and for $30,000.00 bucks!"
    Try more like $35,000. The SLP version with add ons will bring it to $40,000.

Keep the hope alive, although if it does come back, I see it being pretty pricey. Anytime a retooling is done, the cost get's passed on to the consumer.

Comment

On the GTO. It will be redisigned and return on a new platform for the 2006 or 2007 MY. The new platform is a cheaper version of Sigma. Holden is heading up development of the platform and has been flogging CTS sedans for some time to improve it and make it cheaper. The new"er" GTO will be built right here in the U.S.. With Holden running the factory. As far as the new architecture goes, it recently debuted on an Opel concept (Insignia) at the Frankfurt auto show. Bob Lutz said that it is a flexible architecture able to accomidate RWD and AWD for a variety of auto sizes. He also included Pontiac and Chevy as recieving products on it in the future.

A board member at CamaroZ28.com attended a product survey recently where he saw a concept that was VERY camaro-like. Front end reminicent of 1st gen and the rest of the car looking like a shortened SS concept.

There have also been smaller bits of news coming out, but the two above are the big ones. Platform will be available and styling and research is in the works. 2007 is said to be the target year. If things stay on target you should see one then. BUT things can always change. I'm sure the new Mustang and it's reception have been helping push things along though. Chevy has been known to be pushing for it as soon as possible too.
      Joe K.
      '11 BMW 328i
      '10 Matrix S AWD
      Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

The next gen GTO platform:

http://www.freep.com/money/autonews/gm9_20030909.htm

This one is a little large...info on new platform and 6.0L V8, and 3 valve heads:

.http://www.southcom.com.au/~spcampbe/VE/

CZ28.com Thread with important news releases to date:

http://web.camaross.com/forums/showt...hreadid=155725

Very good and accurate stuff
        Joe K.
        '11 BMW 328i
        '10 Matrix S AWD
        Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

And some highlights:

CHICAGO - GM North America will develop a family of rear-drive cars with Holden Motor Ltd. in Australia, says Mark Hogan, GM group vice president for advanced vehicle development.

Some of the cars will be assembled in the United States and marketed by Chevrolet and Pontiac and will debut around 2007.

"Holden will be responsible for engineering (the architecture), and we are providing the management team with respect to the North American applications," Hogan says. "I have a group of guys at Holden as we speak working on the next generation for North America."

In the meantime, Pontiac will sell the V-8-powered 2004 Pontiac GTO coupe, which is built in Australia and based on the current-generation rwd Holden Monaro. The GTO goes on sale in November.

Powerful, rear-drive cars are making a comeback in the United States. Dodge, for example, will sell the Magnum, equipped with a 5.7-liter V-8, starting in spring 2004.

In January, a GM spokesman said Chevrolet would add a rwd car later in the decade but declined to be specific. It currently sells the rwd Corvette.

GM is developing most of its vehicle architectures for global applications. For example, GM's new mid-sized Epsilon architecture is shared by the 2003 Saab 9-3, Opel Vectra, 2004 Chevrolet Malibu and Malibu Maxx, and the 2005 Pontiac Grand Am.

In GM parlance, an architecture includes common components, build sequence, range of dimensions and connecting points between subsystems.

Hogan says the new rwd architecture developed with Holden will be able to produce various models, as the current architecture does.

GM TO BUILD 6-SPEED REAR-WHEEL-DRIVE TRANSMISSION AT WILLOW RUN PLANT
          Ypsilanti, Mich.- General Motors announced today it will invest approximately $300 million in its Willow Run (Mich.) plant to produce a new 6-speed rear-wheel-drive automatic transmission...

...The transmission will be used in future GM cars and trucks beginning in 2006.

The GM Powertrain Willow Run transmission plant produces the Hydra-Matic 4L80-E(4-speed rear-wheel- drive) transmission for full-size trucks, sport-utility vehicles and large vans, and the 4T80-E(4-speed front- wheel-drive) for luxury cars. The plant also produces transmission components for several other GM transmission models....

News Release January 30, 2003 General Motors
          GM Powertrain Communications
          Joe K.
          '11 BMW 328i
          '10 Matrix S AWD

Comment

Some More:

"Both Holden and GM are keen to pull a deal together which would see the next generation VE Commodore platform underpin cars being built in North America by 2006/7 for the likes of Buick, Chevrolet and Pontiac...

...Among the discussions will be what models are suitable for US production. Definite prospects include the Commodore ute as a new generation Chev El Camino and the Statesman as a reborn Buick Road Master, both already mooted by Mr Lutz...

...Mr Lutz first confirmed to GoAuto last February his desire to exploit Holden's ability to develop a low-cost rear-wheel drive platform for use in forthcoming GM large passenger and performance cars in the US...

...Mr Hanenberger says 2006/7 would be the kick-off timeframe. Initially, to keep costs down, he anticipates selling only slightly re-styled and engineered Holdens in North America as domestic brands, as is being done with the GTO...

...Mr Hanenberger even suggested Holden may invest in the North American facility - probably a refurbished existing assembly plant - where the Holden-based GM product would be built...

...Following this week's meeting, a combined US and Australian project team is expected to be set up under the leadership of Holden's vehicle line executive Andrew Gay, to start developing business cases for individual models."
            Joe K.
            '11 BMW 328i
            '10 Matrix S AWD

Comment

Remember...the F-Body is dead. Sorry for the brutal honesty, but its dead. 'F-Body' is the PLATFORM; the 'chassis' if you will. The 'Camaro' and 'Firebird' nameplates may have a future, but the F-body is dead.

Personally, I don't think we'll see another Firebird. The GTO will take up the performance banner (and I like the looks, FWIW...it will sell, something the F-body didn't do very well) for Pontiac, for the foreseeable future.

I think we'll see the 'Camaro' namplate in/around 2007-09. Not before. I think when the Goat production starts here, you'll see a 'Chevelle' or something similar for the bowtie boys...

Must my humble, uneducated, no inside-information-knowing opinion, of course...

Byrdman

Comment

A Chevelle rumor started a bit ago by an enthusiast magazine that grew to have a life of it's own.

I have seen no evidence to point to Chevelle. I've been watching this for some years now and this is most likely Camaro they're talking about.

Here's the story behind the survey:

http://web.camaross.com/forums/showt...ghlight=gongos
                Joe K.
                '11 BMW 328i
                '10 Matrix S AWD

Comment

Originally posted by MCKNGBRD
                  Remember...the F-Body is dead. Sorry for the brutal honesty, but its dead. 'F-Body' is the PLATFORM; the 'chassis' if you will. The 'Camaro' and 'Firebird' nameplates may have a future, but the F-body is dead.

Personally, I don't think we'll see another Firebird. The GTO will take up the performance banner (and I like the looks, FWIW...it will sell, something the F-body didn't do very well) for Pontiac, for the foreseeable future.

I think we'll see the 'Camaro' namplate in/around 2007-09. Not before. I think when the Goat production starts here, you'll see a 'Chevelle' or something similar for the bowtie boys...

Must my humble, uneducated, no inside-information-knowing opinion, of course...

Byrdman
                  yup, you're right about the f-body being dead...it is. No getting around it. Personally...if and when the Name Camaro and Firebird ever come back to life...it will be a car that we don't know today. Not a bad thing (yet) but do we even want a change?

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
                  Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
                  B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
                  Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
                  Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

2007 will bring the F-body back

Stealth Performance
                    www.stealthperf.com
                    (503)531-3170
                    (leave message)
                    E-Mail:
                    sales@stealthperf.com

Comment

well....nannie nannie boo boo........ i might be getting the Trailblazer SS when it comes out as my EDD........... hee hee... then mary gets the Envoy all to herself.

the hawk is still not sold........ but the compTA will stay on the nest.

she wants to drive it sometime........

OMG

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
                      Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
                      sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Working...
                      X