Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cleaning maf and throttle body...wut 2 use?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning maf and throttle body...wut 2 use?

my buddy is gonna clean out his thorttle body and the maf and the intake elbow which is pretty dirty since hes never done it b4, hes doing it because every now and then when he starts his car it has a nasty bog, it has fresh plugs and wires in it so might as well give this a try, so what do u guys recomend to clean it out? is electrical cleaner ok? thanks.

btw its a 2000 Formula a4
    1967 Camaro "Project"
    1972 Chevelle "454"
    1979 Trans Am "Project Ls-1"

i use i think stp throttle body cleaner, but not just spay it thou i unpluged the throttle body and clean it real good so is the maf.
    2001 Trans Am WS6 M6
    SLP: short throw|short shifter|CAI|MAF|TB ByPass
    Spohn: SFC|Tunnel Brace|LCA|Swaybars|LCA bracket|Shock Tower Brace|Nitto NT555 Extreme Performance|Pacesetter LT|TrueDual|1-chamber Flowmaster|DLA224/224Cam|Comp Cams 918 Springs|ported oil pump|timing chain|PRC LS6 heads|LS7 lifters|Fast Intake 90mm|NW TB 90mm|Thermostat 160|NGK TR 55|RacetronicFP|429/404 hp/tq|tuned by George Haddad motorsports
    http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/690385

Comment

I took my TB apart and soaked the 2 main parts in simple green overnight. I then used a toothbrush to clean it up and reassembled it with new gaskets. I also carefully polished it up inside with my Dremel. Also use a little oil to lubricate the throttle shaft.

To clean the maf, I took it apart, polished the ends and very gently used some carb cleaner to clean the wires inside it.

That was last fall, no problems to report so far sinse then.
      Tracy
      2002 C5 M6 Convertible
      1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
      Current Mods:
      SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

alright guys thank you very much. very quick witht he response too lol
        1967 Camaro "Project"
        1972 Chevelle "454"
        1979 Trans Am "Project Ls-1"

Comment

I would avoid using "carb cleaner" on the MAF sensor wires. Use an electrical contact cleaner, or denatured alcohol. Make sure there is no silicone in any product you use in the intake track.
          Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

I would have to agree not to use carb or brake cleaner on the MAF internals. Those cleaners are caustic and can cause damage to the delicate sensors. If you are very gentle, you can use a q-tip and some electrical/contact cleaner or rubbing alcohol.

The TB can be cleaned with your favorite de-greaser. Also, like Fred said do not use silicone to reassemble the TB. Even the silicone advertised as o2 sensor safe can cause problems with the o2 sensors.

Comment

I have used mothers aluminum polish,Seperate the maf and polish away,comes out like glass and the air flows by easier.
              JackZ28
              K & N CAI
              Kooks Header LT's
              Free Flow Cat, Magnaflow Exhaust
              Y-Pipe
              Synthetic Fluids

Comment

Working...
              X