Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical problem

01 V6 Camaro convertable

The Tail Lamp fuse and the fuse for the interior stuff(guages, radio, etc) blew last night. I just got in my car started it and nothing was on. I switched out the 15A interior fuse and those work fine. The 20A tail lamp fuse keeps blowing. I took out all the lights and tried it, still blew. I turned off the foglights and tried it, nope still blew. Everytime I turn my lights on that circuit blows. The headlights still work and brakes(but they are on a different fuse.)

Does anyone know where to check or what to do!?

Thanks in advance
    -Rico

Click here to visit my CarDomain page!

01 Camaro Convertable, A4, White, Audiobahn 12" subs and amp 800W/RMS,Xenon
    98 TA/WS6, M6, All options,stock with minor mods, stealth JL Audio-Sold
    98 Camaro, V6, A4, Silver, Xenon Body kit, white guages, MTX system, custom interior SOLD
    94 Camaro, 3.4L, M5, Quasar Blue, SOLD

It sounds like you have a short in the harness somewhere.

I notice you have a stereo system and some lights installed.

Is it possible that when you installed that stuff you somehow penetrated the wiring harness with a screw or maybe shorted it out in some other way?

I once has a screw go into a wireharness and it didnt cause problems for several weeks. It took some time and vibration to dead short and blow the fuse. That was a 3rd gen under the door sill. It took me awhile to figure that one out.
    Tracy
    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
    Current Mods:
    SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Originally posted by TraceZ
      It sounds like you have a short in the harness somewhere.

I notice you have a stereo system and some lights installed.

Is it possible that when you installed that stuff you somehow penetrated the wiring harness with a screw or maybe shorted it out in some other way?

I once has a screw go into a wireharness and it didnt cause problems for several weeks. It took some time and vibration to dead short and blow the fuse. That was a 3rd gen under the door sill. It took me awhile to figure that one out.
      The system has been there for 3 or 4 months already. I did just wreck a lil while ago into a guard rail(another story), damaged the body work on the front drivers side. Just got it back a week and a half ago. Maybe during repairs something got screwed up like that? If its in the tail lamp circuit what places should i be looking?
      -Rico

98 Camaro, V6, A4, Silver, Xenon Body kit, white guages, MTX system, custom interior SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by Camaro4-2
        The system has been there for 3 or 4 months already. I did just wreck a lil while ago into a guard rail(another story), damaged the body work on the front drivers side. Just got it back a week and a half ago. Maybe during repairs something got screwed up like that? If its in the tail lamp circuit what places should i be looking?
        Are your front corner markers (parking lights) out too?

Maybe the harness got damaged up front?
        Tracy
        2002 C5 M6 Convertible
        1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
        Current Mods:
        SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

fixed it

It turned out to be something in my Guage Cluster shorting those circuits.
          -Rico

Comment

Any idea how that hapenned? Did a wire get worn through?
            Tracy
            2002 C5 M6 Convertible
            1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
            Current Mods:

Comment

Simple to find if you have a digital volt meter. You can test each wire for a short to ground.

Comment

Working...
              X