opti install

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• opti install

I have the 94 non-vented opti. When installing the new one do i just line up the drive pin and slide it in? Is there only one way to put it in right? I don't want to mess up the timing.

it only goes in one way. It is a splined shaft with a flatspot. Lining it up perfect so it goes on can be fun.

The shaft might decide to stay in the opti when you pull it off. If that happens, getting it in the proper position to re-insert it into the cam gear can be fun. It is fun because you cannot see what you are doing because it's all behind the timing cover.

Dont force anything. It should all slide together easily.
    Tracy
    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
    Current Mods:
    SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Been there done that. Just take your time an when you are done you will say ok now i see how it works an I do not ever want to do this agan. But oh well thats a LT1. But when the thing is running fine you will say that was not all that bad. Good Luck Blazer

Comment

Make sure the opti goes the entire way in before even thinking about putting the 3 bolts in. It is possible to snug it down without the pin in the right whole which not only will cause you to have to tear everything back apart and realign but can destroy your new $300 opti.
        1994 Firebird Formula, M6, Fan switch, 160 thermostat, Pacesetter LT headers, Morosso CAI, TB bypass, True duals.

Comment

Originally posted by 94 formula
          Make sure the opti goes the entire way in before even thinking about putting the 3 bolts in. It is possible to snug it down without the pin in the right hole which not only will cause you to have to tear everything back apart and realign but can destroy your new $300 opti.
          His car is a 94 with an unvented opti. There is no pin to go in a hole. The unvented opti uses a splined shaft with a flat spot so it can only go on one way.

What you are refering to is the dowel pin found on 1995 - 1997 vented optisparks. His car, bieng a 94 is different.

that being said, you are correct that he should still make absolutely sure the splined shaft is inserted correctly and the opti sits flush before attempting to tighten any bolts.
          Tracy
          2002 C5 M6 Convertible
          1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
          Current Mods:
          SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Originally posted by TraceZ
            His car is a 94 with an unvented opti. There is no pin to go in a hole. The unvented opti uses a splined shaft with a flat spot so it can only go on one way.

What you are refering to is the dowel pin found on 1995 - 1997 vented optisparks. His car, bieng a 94 is different.

that being said, you are correct that he should still make absolutely sure the splined shaft is inserted correctly and the opti sits flush before attempting to tighten any bolts.
            By pin I meant splined shaft. Thank you for clearing that up, I have a 94 too and just wasn't thinking when I posted that its been a long night .

Just make sure it sits flush against the timing chain cover and it'll be fine.
            1994 Firebird Formula, M6, Fan switch, 160 thermostat, Pacesetter LT headers, Morosso CAI, TB bypass, True duals.

Comment

Is it possible to modify a 94 Opti and make it vented?

99 Silver Z28 A4, T tops, ZR-1 wheels (SOLD)

Comment

Originally posted by RangerBob
                You can convert a pre-vented Opti car to use the vented Opti, but it means changing out quite a bit of parts if I remember correctly. Part of me even wants to say you have to swap the cam, but don't quote me on that.
                Steve
                79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
                87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
                93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
                http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

Originally posted by RangerBob
                  To vent a non-vented opti: http://www.corvettefever.com/howto/16758/

To do a vented opti conversion: http://para.noid.org/~muttvette/opti.html
                  (yes you do have to swap the cam, if it is stock)
                  Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

Originally posted by Rob B (shoebox)
                    To do a vented opti conversion: http://para.noid.org/~muttvette/opti.html
                    (yes you do have to swap the cam, if it is stock)
                    Yeah, I think I'll definitely do that when if/when I do a cam swap. Heck, might as well get a better cam while I'm at it, right?
                    Steve
                    79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
                    87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
                    93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
                    http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

Working...
                    X