car feel like lost a lot power

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• car feel like lost a lot power

is messed up tranny or clucth will effecting power ? the reason i ask about this because when i was running on high speed on 3rd gear and i about to shifted to 4th gear i accidently shifted to 2nd gear and i hear a bang noise when i did that, will that mess up my tranny or clucth and is that causing my car running poorly ?
    2001 Trans Am WS6 M6
    SLP: short throw|short shifter|CAI|MAF|TB ByPass
    Spohn: SFC|Tunnel Brace|LCA|Swaybars|LCA bracket|Shock Tower Brace|Nitto NT555 Extreme Performance|Pacesetter LT|TrueDual|1-chamber Flowmaster|DLA224/224Cam|Comp Cams 918 Springs|ported oil pump|timing chain|PRC LS6 heads|LS7 lifters|Fast Intake 90mm|NW TB 90mm|Thermostat 160|NGK TR 55|RacetronicFP|429/404 hp/tq|tuned by George Haddad motorsports
    http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/690385

5 bucks says you bent a pushrod or 2. This is a common problem with people tagging to low of a gear and instantly over revving the motor. Could also be a broken valve spring or another valvetrain related problem, but my bet is on a bent pushrod.

Comment

Originally posted by fastTA
      5 bucks says you bent a pushrod or 2. This is a common problem with people tagging to low of a gear and instantly over revving the motor. Could also be a broken valve spring or another valvetrain related problem, but my bet is on a bent pushrod.
      Sadly, I second that.

Comment

so my tranny is still good cos dealer want it for 1000 bucks if it is i can just get 98-02 SLP LS1 Camshaft Kit: Cam, Springs, Retainers, Locks
        [51013A] $734.34. thanks bro you guys are awesome and for 5 bucks i hope you are right too.
        2001 Trans Am WS6 M6
        Spohn: SFC|Tunnel Brace|LCA|Swaybars|LCA bracket|Shock Tower Brace|Nitto NT555 Extreme Performance|Pacesetter LT|TrueDual|1-chamber Flowmaster|DLA224/224Cam|Comp Cams 918 Springs|ported oil pump|timing chain|PRC LS6 heads|LS7 lifters|Fast Intake 90mm|NW TB 90mm|Thermostat 160|NGK TR 55|RacetronicFP|429/404 hp/tq|tuned by George Haddad motorsports

Comment

I did the same thing one time, the only thing that happened was a broken trans mount, probably from thrashing the car all day. But I didnt encounter engine problems. However my friend did the same thing and he did bend a pushrod in his LS1. I think it cost him around 500-600 dollars to get it al done at the chevy dealer.
          1996 Z-28 6 speed, Airfoil, K&N FIPK, Flowmaster muffler, Motive 3.73 gears, BBK shorty headers, cut-out, LS1 Driveshaft, no power options (Rare), Prothane tranny mount, MSD 8.5mm wires, Accel U-Groove Plugs, Chrome hurst short throw, TB Bypass, ES Torque arm mount, BMR subframe connectors (weld-in), Lt4 Knock Module, Descreened MAF, '02 SS wheels, Pioneer HU, MTX & JL amps, 2 12" JBL's, T-Top Conversion!

Comment

Originally posted by blackthunder50
            I did the same thing one time, the only thing that happened was a broken trans mount, probably from thrashing the car all day. But I didnt encounter engine problems. However my friend did the same thing and he did bend a pushrod in his LS1. I think it cost him around 500-600 dollars to get it al done at the chevy dealer.
            First mistake - missing shift.

Second mistake - taking car to dealer.

Third mistake - paying $500-600 to fix bent pushrods.

I think I paid about $120 for Speed, Inc to take care of my pushrod problem. It's even cheaper if you do it yourself ... supposedly, it's not terribly difficult ot do. (I missed the same shift - bent all 8 pushrods).
            Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

Comment

Originally posted by 1sickbird
              so my tranny is still good cos dealer want it for 1000 bucks if it is i can just get 98-02 SLP LS1 Camshaft Kit: Cam, Springs, Retainers, Locks
              [51013A] $734.34. thanks bro you guys are awesome and for 5 bucks i hope you are right too.
              You shouldn't be thinking about modifications and upgrades until you find the problem and get it fixed... if your pushrods are bent, they aren't fully openeing the valves any longer. That means less air/fuel going in, and less exhaust going out... which is your loss of power right there.

As Kevin said, you may also have bent a valve or two, or even messed up a piston. Hopefully it's just a pushrod, they're cheap. If it's valve problems - or worse - damaged pistons, get your checkbook ready.
              Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Comment

Originally posted by Jay 02 TA ws6
                First mistake - missing shift.

Second mistake - taking car to dealer.

Third mistake - paying $500-600 to fix bent pushrods.

I think I paid about $120 for Speed, Inc to take care of my pushrod problem. It's even cheaper if you do it yourself ... supposedly, it's not terribly difficult ot do. (I missed the same shift - bent all 8 pushrods).
                how does it feel after you fixed pushrods jay ? it the car running back to normal ? like all the power is back ?
                2001 Trans Am WS6 M6

Comment

Originally posted by 1sickbird
                  how does it feel after you fixed pushrods jay ? it the car running back to normal ? like all the power is back ?
                  Yes. I also had the dyno tuning done at the same time - so it was running as good as ever when it left the shop.

One disclaimer though... I didn't hear a *bang* when I missed the shift. It sounded very very ugly, the rev limiter was trying to cut the fuel supply... but nothing "banged". Pushrods can break too in an extreme situation, maybe that's what you did. That would also explain a severe loss of power. Just bending the pushrods makes it miss some power, but it's not usually terribly noticeable.

Is the engine making noises that it wasn't before? Clanking? Rattling? Not idling smooth?

Comment

engine making noise but after i drive it the noise is gone and its been like that before
                    2001 Trans Am WS6 M6

Comment

so im guessing u have no idea how to check ur push rods? its fairly easy just take of the coil packs and take off the 5 bolts that hold down the valve covers and look at all the push rods and if the motor is at tdc you should be able to spin the push rod with your fingers and possibly tell if its bent if not then your gonna have to take off the rockers pull the rods out and roll them on somthing perfectly flat and see if their bent thats alot more work and pretty hard to get the rocker arms back on right.
                      1967 Camaro "Project"
                      1972 Chevelle "454"
                      1979 Trans Am "Project Ls-1"

Comment

Working...
                      X