big traction issue!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• big traction issue!

ive been having problems past 2k rpm holding traction, my old kuhmo 275 40 17 rear tires were down to the wear marks. I thought that had something to do with it so i ordered 2 275 40 17 gforce drag radials, had them mounted and installed yesterday however im having the same traction problems... Now im pretty sure the TCS is off, the relay has been pulled and when i reprogrammed my pcm i had them edit that out anyways. what else could be killing my traction esp w/ 2 brand new gforce d/r in the back? they're filled to about 30# right now someone suggested i drop the psi to about 18 and see how they hook up i plan on trying that today.... im at a loss any help would be appreciated....

-chris

What suspension mods do you have done? If it just started that is kinda weird. Esp with new DR's. Maybe it has something to do with the ground being colder. I don't grip as good. I can really feel loss of traction, esp. on my motorcycle. Maybe that has something to do with it?
    97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

im running a 2" drop and bilstein shocks/eibach springs... the colder weather might have something to do with it but i think i might have to drop some more pressure out of the tires, what pressure do most ppl w/ d/r run anyways?

Comment

The traction loss is probably due to the 2" drop. I know when i lowered my car i lost a lot of traction and had major wheel hop. An adjustable pan hard bar and new stiffer lower control arms with relocation brackets fixed that though
        Black '96 Z28, loudmouth exhaust, Mac mid length headers, crane cams powermax 104227 cam, crane 1.6rr,'s, springs, lifters and pushrods. MSD distributor, slp ultra z hood with air box, bbk 52mm throttle body, march underdrive pulleys, hpp+, 1le sway bars, spohn LCA's and relo brackets, Spohn SFC's, adj panhard bar, bilstein shocks, H&R springs, strut tower brace...Audio-Alpine head unit, MB Quart 6.5" component in the front and 6.5" Boston in the rear w Alpine 75x4 amp, Alpine Type-X 12 in the trunk w/ alpine 1000w amp

Comment

well it isnt something that has been going on for a while, it seemed to have just happened within the last month, before that it would hook up real nice now i cant seem to even hold good traction past 2500rpm even easing into the throttle... i mean its like hitting the rev limiter at 2k they just spin up real quick... wicked frustrating.... thanks for any input

-chris

Comment

alright i dropped the tire pressure down to 20# and noticed a considerable difference, im sure if i drop it down even more ill see even better traction gains, im just worried if the pavement would chew those D/R's up quicker w/ low pressure since i drive this car alot in the good weather.... thanks

Comment

20# is about the bottom limit for drag radials, and if you drive around town that way, they'll wear out unevenly.

Comment

hmm i went back out tonight and the traction issues seemed to have come back... im totally stumped...

Comment

You sure both tires are spinning?? Maybe your rear end is shot and is not shifting power to both wheels.

Clutch slipping? With the drag radials it should stick pretty well on the street.
                  Silver 02 WS-6, 6 speed, Corsa cat-back, SLP lid, K&N filter, BMR STB, !CAGs, Lou's short stick, MSD wires, MTI "Hammer" cam, ASP underdrive pulley, Hooker LTs, Hooker ORY, Comp 918s, TR pushrods, UMI Sfcs, UMI LCAs, NGK TR55s, Hotchkis springs

Dyno'd 4/24: 330.9 RWHP/ 344.8 RWTQ (Before cam, headers, and pulley)

Dyno'd 5/1: 383.5 RWHP / 380.5 RWTQ (393 actual RWHP)

Comment

do u have Relocation brackets for the LCAs? if not get those and see if u still hve the issue
                    2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

ok this is the deal, i took it to my buddies shop about a month ago for a bad injector prior to that everything was fine traction wise... he said he adjusted the TPS voltage ( he said it was down) a little bit and then off i went. i started noticing huge slip even with my old worn kuhmos in the back and thought that oh im slipping the tires are down to the wear marks- i need new tires, well sure enough i got new tires and am still having the same issues slipping badly past about 2k or about 30% throttle.... a few ppl have told me that i should retain the stock traction control it would help it hook up better, but i thought you dont want the traction control as it only bogs the tires when your launching it from a stop.... bottom line as far as traction is concerned the components i want to worry about are what: TCS relay, rearend/ limited slip differential? i mean what the heck could ALL OF A SUDDEN cause me to loose ALL traction!? thanks for any input

-chris

Comment

Well TPS voltage isn't really adjustable unless he slotted the sensor because of your Holly Throttle Body had it positioned wrong. And a lot of stuff is related to the TPS as far as computer tuning goes, but even more for A4 cars, but I doubt it could have caused some massive all-of-a-sudden traction issue unless you've been severly oput of tune all this time. Are you sure your tires are spinning and not your clutch slipping? Are you leaving rubber on the road when this happens?

Comment

Does it feel as if the car is running better than before and making more power?

Comment

no im not leaving any rubber, and yes the car feels like it has much more power, i recently had the car dynoed heres the post...http://www.f-body.com/forum/showthre...ght=night+dyno since then i have replaced: the knock module to an lt4 k/m, radiator, hoses, drag radials, and adjusted that tps voltage from about 3.5 i believe he said to now 4.95. i believe i could have picked up about 50-60 horse with that alone thats why the tires are spinning, especially due to the 2" drop with stock torque arm... im wondering if i should get that adjustable slp torque arm, how easy are those to install anyways? thanks

-chris

Comment

Originally posted by paxton350
                              no im not leaving any rubber, and yes the car feels like it has much more power, i recently had the car dynoed heres the post...http://www.f-body.com/forum/showthre...ght=night+dyno since then i have replaced: the knock module to an lt4 k/m, radiator, hoses, drag radials, and adjusted that tps voltage from about 3.5 i believe he said to now 4.95. i believe i could have picked up about 50-60 horse with that alone thats why the tires are spinning, especially due to the 2" drop with stock torque arm... im wondering if i should get that adjustable slp torque arm, how easy are those to install anyways? thanks

-chris
                              TA is a very easy install. Few bolts, no sweat.
                              97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

Working...
                              X