Handling Improvements

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Handling Improvements

I have an '83 Firebird (in case you couldn't tell by the name). What would improve the handling in my car the most for the best price?
    1983 Firebird with all original parts (with a fresh coat of paint on top)

A Shock Tower Brace is usually the part that gives you the most effective results for the money.
    SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
    SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
    17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
    Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

A set of frame conecters will stiffen up the back end and keep the car from twisting,when you pin it. Good luck.
      JackZ28
      K & N CAI
      Kooks Header LT's
      Free Flow Cat, Magnaflow Exhaust
      Y-Pipe
      Synthetic Fluids

Comment

A thicker rear sway bar should help handling as well.

LT4KM, 160' TS, MAF ends, TB-BP, GMPP 1.6 R/R, SLP CAI, LCA, Adj. tierod, BMR tower brace, 17x9"F/R, 275/40R17 GY F1 tires. WS6 Muffler, LS1 DS. 21mm rear sway bar. Soon to be LT4 heads, intake, & HOT cam

Comment

strut tower brace, subframe connectors, panhard rod, larger sway bars, polyeurethane bushings, lowering the car, larger rims, better tires. Not neccesarily in that order.
          Dave M
          Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Comment

What exactly does a strut tower brace do? I pretty much know what the others do, but what is that and what is its purpose (other than improved handling obviously)?

Comment

Someone will post a better explanation than mine, but a strut tower brace basically just ties the front end of the car together. I actually just put an STB on my 3rd gen and the best way I can describe it is that it feels much "tighter" in the front end, especially in turns.

Anyway, since you have a 3rd gen, the first thing I would suggest is subframe connectors. They sell bolt-in and weld-in connectors, and I would suggest either buy weld-in ones and get them welded in, or buy bolt-ins, bolt them in yourself, and then later on get them welded in. I chose the latter, but it's just about personal preference. SFCs cost around $200.

After that (or before, again it's about preference), get a steering brace, usually called a Wonderbar. It just bolts in on the front of the frame rails, right on top of the sway bar bushings. It helps prevent flexing and possibly cracking the area around the steering gearbox (common problem on 3rd gens with larger wheels and tires). Some people feel a difference with a Wonderbar, some people don't. Either way, it's usually needed. Wonderbars cost around $50.

Once you get these 2 things done, then I would start looking at upgrading the actual suspension. Bigger sway bars, tubular LCAs and panhard bar, lowering springs, better shocks and struts, polyurethane bushings, etc.

Also, check out www.thirdgen.org , if you haven't already.
              1991 Chevy Camaro RS (Is it plum or purple?)
              Engine: 305 TBI (L03)
              Trans: TH700R4
              Mods: Some

CarDomain Site

Comment

Thanks a lot. Now my next question, would getting a bigger rear sway bar increase the overstear in my car and wouldn't that result in less handling? Or am I completely wrong on this one?

Comment

Now my next question, would getting a bigger rear sway bar increase the overstear in my car and wouldn't that result in less handling?
                  I believe you are right, but I'm definitely no expert.

Something I forgot to mention earlier, is that you can get some pretty good sway bars off of a stock 3rd gen, if you look hard enough. 86-92 Firebirds with the WS6 suspension and some 89-92 Camaros came stock with 36mm hollow front/24mm solid rear sway bars, if you don't want to fork out the $ for aftermarket ones. They should be pretty easy to find and are pretty cheap at junkyards. Just clean them up, paint them, get new bushings and endlinks, and bolt them in. Now you've got some great, matched sway bars. I've been meaning to do this myself for a while now.
                  1991 Chevy Camaro RS (Is it plum or purple?)
                  Engine: 305 TBI (L03)
                  Trans: TH700R4
                  Mods: Some

CarDomain Site

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I need to head to a junkyard for some hinges for the back hatch anyway, so I'll take a look around for those sway bars. Also, I meant to write "oversteer" but, oh well, no one's perfect.

Comment

While you are at the junkyard, look to see if any of the 3rd gens have a shock tower brace installed. You would be suprised at how many are junked with some mods still on board. Look for any mod for that matter.
                      SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
                      SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
                      17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
                      Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

Working...
                      X