Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• problems with the vortec tpi

okay, here is what i got and what i did:
    i have an 87 iroc and i bought it with a tired 305 tpi, that the owner told me was a built 350.(this is back when i really did not know the difference.)
    any way the cam went flat and i changed that out with a stock replacement or something i cant remember. while i was in the engine bay i decided to look at the casting numbers just for giggles....and it turned out to be a 305. after running in to many other problems i decided with a little peer pressure to build a motor and swap it in. so i got a 76 350 block and crank, machined them to .40 over and bought an engine rebuild kit accordingly. got the hyperutectic (flat top) pistons among the other stuff. i bought a crane cam (flat tappet) out of jegs for a 350 tpi with the 3.73 rear end( something else i was told i had that i did not, i got the borg warner 9 bolt or something.) any way i put roller rockers and the vortec heads with the sdpc vortec intake manifold. i bought 21 lb injectors for it and all this is in the motor now, i am about to get an adjustable fuel pressure regulator for it. so here are the problems: the car has a tough time starting, i have to try to start it twice and on the second time when it actually starts it runs really rough for a minute and then catches up. i usually let it warm up for a minute or two and then start driving( as it is i only drive it to work and back no where else for now. work is only about a mile or two away.) the car runs like crap for about the first five minutes of driving no matter how long it warms up, and then about half way out of the neighbor hood it sort of kicks in running a whole lot better, but still not that good. then sometimes while driving at about 1000 or less rpm the motor will hesitate then catch up, hesitate then catch up until i give it just a little more gas, also i just got it back from a freind that is really into tpi's he messed with the computor and now it still has all of those same problems plus some. the brakes hardly work( like there is a vacume problem or something) and when i go up a hill i go to give it a little more gas and it is like it has a governor, no matter how much i push the pedal nothing happens very seldomly will it even downshift and when it does it is not much of an improvement... (oh yeah the motor is broken in to it has bout 1000-1500 miles on it back when it ran a touch better, took a long time to get that seeing as how i never drive it, i didnt do any freeway or anything like that nice easy miles.) I need help does anybody have any suggestions or has anyone run into these with this setup?

If you have no power brakes you have a big vacuum leak. Fix it and go from there. It might just solve all your problems.
    Tracy
    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
    Current Mods:
    SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

I second that, i had a vaccuum leak on my car a while back and it was doing many of the thinigs that you are describing, once that got taken care of the car ran wonderfully adn all my problems went away, definately look inot that first.
      -Dan

1986 350 TPI Trans Am, 700R-4, Flowmaster exhaust, CAI, 180* t/stat, low temp fan switch, SFC's....Sold.

Project Status: LT1 disassembled, researching costs, searching for project car.

Comment

thats kind of what i was hoping, but i wonder if my freind messed with something in the computor, he reprogramed a chip and thats when it happened unfortunately he got rid of my stock chip....but i also noticed that this same stuff happened when i put in a jet chip for a 305.. i didnt have power brakes and such so i am gonna get a 350 chip and see what happens. in the mean time i am gonna try and check all the hoses and such....
        thanks for the help

Comment

Changing the chip should not impact the vacuum produced by the motor in any way significant enough to cause your brake booster to suffer.
          Tracy
          2002 C5 M6 Convertible
          1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
          Current Mods:
          SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Definatly start with the vacume leak. That will really screw up your idle, and driving power at low RPM. Also 21 # injectors may be a bit on the small side for the engine. That is stock for the 350 tpi, and might put the injector duty-cycle to high with the punched out motor. But of course this wont be a problem till higher RPM. Also if it is 87 it probably has the 9th injector for starting the car. Check this injector to make sure it is working, and that there are no problems with the wire harness.

Eric W.

89 Firebird Formula WS6
            Accel/Lingenfelter Super Ram
            6.2L/382.97 ci
            Custom PROM Dyno tuned
            WCT-5 speed
            BW 9-bolt Posi 3.45
            Boss MS 18" Rims
            Headman Headers 1 5/8 Ceramic Coated
            Custom Dual exhaust
            1LE upgrade
            Custom Temperature / Navigation Rear View Mirror