Water all in the car (no t-tops)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water all in the car (no t-tops)

There is water all in the passenger side floor of my car it’s been raining a lot. I saw the other post about this but I do not have t tops. I don’t think the water came in the seal of the window because the seat is dry, and the door panel is too. The carpet near the bottom of the dash is wet could the water have some how came in behind the dash? The water was about 4-5 inches deep. I’ve dried it out the best I could and put some bake n soda down. Help please.

97 Firebird, 3.8 5 spd

Chck your window seals, just becuase the seat isnt wet, doesnt mean the floorr cant be. Think about it, if the water is seeping in it isnt going to leap over the window and door and onto the seat, its gonna trickle down the glass and the door, so depending on where its coming in, it could be leaking through the windows so it is best to check that first just to eliminate it. look on the door and stuff towards your dash to see if anything is wet over there that you might miss, and then start looking at other sources. I caan;t really help much if thats not it, but mine leak a little sometimes too, and my floor gets wet but not my seat because of that. Let us know how it turns out maybe theres something im missing.
    -Dan

1986 350 TPI Trans Am, 700R-4, Flowmaster exhaust, CAI, 180* t/stat, low temp fan switch, SFC's....Sold.

Project Status: LT1 disassembled, researching costs, searching for project car.

Comment

The seal looks good to me but I’m not sure. I am thinking about just sitting in the car while someone sprays the out side with a water hose and looking for leaks. I can’t think of another way to test it. Feel free to give me some ideas.

97 Firebird, 3.8 5 spd

Comment

The hose trick seems like a good place to start. It could be as simple as adjusting a passenger window.
        Joe K.
        '11 BMW 328i
        '10 Matrix S AWD
        Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

I started to take off the panels of from under the dash and the foam is all wet and the panel was holding water but everything above the panel was dry. I took out the glove box and behind that was dry too. I can't take the wiper grill off because I don’t have the tools right now but that’s the only place I can think of water getting in??

97 Firebird, 3.8 5 spd

Comment

Hmmm, maybe the seals went bad in there? Or is there a lot of build up of dirt adn stuff that could be preventing a good seal somehow or at least preventing the water from draining out? probably have to get that off before you can really tell, but you should be able to at that point figure out where its coming in.
            -Dan

1986 350 TPI Trans Am, 700R-4, Flowmaster exhaust, CAI, 180* t/stat, low temp fan switch, SFC's....Sold.

Project Status: LT1 disassembled, researching costs, searching for project car.

Comment

Are you sure it's just water and not coolant? A heater core gone bad would cause it to collect on your passenger floor.
              Dave M
              Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Comment

Yea I m sure its not coolant. On another form someone said they had the same problem and it was caused by a grommet in the firewall I m going to check that tomorrow.

97 Firebird, 3.8 5 spd

Comment

I did some research on this problems for grand ams a couple months back for a friend, for those cars its a common problem. 2 causes are from leafs clogging up the drain hole by the windshield whippers and also a crack from a bad weld in the firewall. I havent read anything about this happening on a f-body though.
                  94 Formula Firebird, 355, heads port and polished, cc503 cam, 30# injectors, PCMforless Tune, B&M 2400 stall, K&N CAI, BBK Sorty Headers, Magnaflow Highflow Cat, Borla Catback exhaust with electronic cutout.

Comment

I pulled the PCM and there is a grommet behind it. The gromment was covered by so much dirt and leaves and its not in the best shape. How would I go about replacing the grommet do I have to disconnect all the wires? Or would it be ok if I got some of the rubber seal stuff and put a coat of rubber over the whole thing?

97 Firebird, 3.8 5 spd

Comment

Working...
                    X