Hypertech computer programers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hypertech computer programers

Have any of you guys used any of the computer programers such as the hypertech ones and such. Do they actualy increase power by that much at all? And how much would the increase be on a mainly stock car?
    96 Camaro Z28, T-tops, 6 Speed, Slp CIA, Flowmaster cat-back, 3:42 gears

they are ok for calibrating for gear ratio, tire size and shift points / firmness but dont really increase horsepower.

You are far better off getting a custom tune from madz28, pcmforless or one of the other available mail order tuners.
    Tracy
    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
    Current Mods:
    SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

How much do those tunes cost, and are they actualy worth it for a mainly stock car?

Comment

I've heard it's worth 10 to 15 HP on a mostly stock car. I'm not sure about the cost of the program, but you will need a laptop and ALDL cable with the proper software to load it.

Next spring I intend to get a cable and upgrade my program. I've got the mods in my signature, so we'll see how the power increase feels.

I think I might just buy LT1edit and use this forum to learn how to tune it myself.
        Tracy
        2002 C5 M6 Convertible
        1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
        Current Mods:
        SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

The biggest gains from a hypertech are the ability to program fan settings and automatic transmission shift points and firmness. You can drop two tenths in the quarter just from those. As far as unlocking loads of power, nope. The factory program is actually pretty good, just a hair rich to protect the motor.

Comment

So basicly not worth it. Idk I was watching some show where they hooked up one of those tuners to a mustang cobra and gained quite a bit of horsepower out of it. Wasnt sure if it'd work out on fbodys as good or not.

Comment

What would you raise the shift points at to make it faster (How many mph for 1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd, and so on)? Wouldn't that also make me have to rasie the rev limiter, so it wouldn't bounce off it when I floor it? I don't want to have to rasie the rev limiter because I think you stop making power after 5800, or 5900 rpm's right?
              94 Formula LT1 (Aqua Metallic) - Auto. - 104,000 miles - Charcoal Leather Mods: Magnaflow Muffler, Lingenfelter CAI, MadZ28 Tune, 160F Hyp. T-Stat., 1LE Elbow, & Summit Cutout. Options: 155 MPH Gauge Cluster, & 255-50ZR-16 Tires.

Comment

HPP3's are also a dime a dozen used for about $120-150. For the same reasons above because they are really only good for !cags, fans, !speed limit, and gears.

There is some more benefit to A4 cars with being able to adjust rev limit and points, but shift firmness should be avoided as anything that just jacks up line pressure is a bad idea for the trans.

The Hypertech tune is not a good tune, it can actually create detonation in some cars.

They are easy to restore to usable, so buying used is pretty reliable. Just make sure you are buying it for the right reasons. Power isn't one of them.

Comment

Whats detonation? like knocking, or something All I feel with the power tune is like the car feels/sounds like its running richer then stock tune. can't tell if its any faster. I doubt its any worse then stock, so I just leave it on.
                  94 Formula LT1 (Aqua Metallic) - Auto. - 104,000 miles - Charcoal Leather Mods: Magnaflow Muffler, Lingenfelter CAI, MadZ28 Tune, 160F Hyp. T-Stat., 1LE Elbow, & Summit Cutout. Options: 155 MPH Gauge Cluster, & 255-50ZR-16 Tires.

Comment

Originally posted by EquatorHeat00
                    Whats detonation? like knocking, or something All I feel with the power tune is like the car feels/sounds like its running richer then stock tune. can't tell if its any faster. I doubt its any worse then stock, so I just leave it on.
                    The problem with the stock tune is that it is toooo rich. If you want more power it needs to be leaned out.
                    Tracy
                    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                    Current Mods:

Comment

So is the Hypertech tune more, or less rich then stock tune?

Comment

Working...
                      X