Low Oil Light?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low Oil Light?

Just for curiosity sake I was wondering how low on oil do you have to be for the warning light to come on?

Thanks
    1995 Camaro Z28 Convertible.

Very low.... at least if you look where the sensor is in Shoebox's photo:

Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Just by judging from the location of the oil level sensor, I would estimate that it would have to be at least 2 quarts low. Probably more like 2 1/2.

Comment

Thanks guys, BTW in that pic where is the cross member?
        1995 Camaro Z28 Convertible.

Comment

Right in front of the exhaust cross over pipe.
          BTW If I remember right lookin gin the owners manual it states that the low oil light only comes on right at startup to check the light, then the oil is low and only for 20 seconds if the oil is low. So if I read that right it will only show 20 seconds after you run out of oil! Hope I'm wrong. I'll read it again tonight but that is what I got out of it.

LT4KM, 160' TS, MAF ends, TB-BP, GMPP 1.6 R/R, SLP CAI, LCA, Adj. tierod, BMR tower brace, 17x9"F/R, 275/40R17 GY F1 tires. WS6 Muffler, LS1 DS. 21mm rear sway bar. Soon to be LT4 heads, intake, & HOT cam

Comment

Oh and another thing. You can use a big wrench and pull the sensor out. Its a good idea to clean it once in a while to get and junk and metal shavings that might acumilate on it and prevent the sensor from making a contact when you have low oil.

LT4KM, 160' TS, MAF ends, TB-BP, GMPP 1.6 R/R, SLP CAI, LCA, Adj. tierod, BMR tower brace, 17x9"F/R, 275/40R17 GY F1 tires. WS6 Muffler, LS1 DS. 21mm rear sway bar. Soon to be LT4 heads, intake, & HOT cam

Comment

OK here it is stright from the manual "Notice: The oil level monitoring system only chekcs the oil level when yu are starting your engine. It does not keep monitoring the level once your engine is running. Also, the oil level check only works when the engine has been turned off long enough for the oil to drain back into the oil pan."

So it looks pretty useless if you are driving along and you loose oil all of a sudden. I wish there was some way to keep it on all the time.

Comment

Working...
              X