I'm new and have a question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm new and have a question

Hey guys. This is my first post on the forum and I was hoping to get some information. I'm thinking of buying my brother-in-law's 95 Formula Firebird. It's in great shape and I am really interested in it.

I want to use the car for autocrossing, also, and was wondering about the differences between a Trans Am and a Formula car. I know both have the V8 and 6-speed, but did they have the same suspensions? I know the Formula doesn't have the body kit, and that's fine with me; I'm more concerned with any differences in handling (e.g. different spring rates or sway bay sizes, etc.) Are there and suspension differences?

After searching for an hour in the internet, I still couldn't find a diffinitive answer to these questions.

Thanks for your replies. I hope to get the car and bother you guys with more questions soon.

The only difference between the two is cosmetic unless there is a difference in options. obviuosly a car without power windows, door locks, manual seats etc. will be lighter than a fully optioned out car.

Comment

Also, that Trans Am body kit adds extra weight, as a result the formula is lighter.

Look at the supporting vendors websites, lots of aftermarket suspension components are available for these cars.

Is sounds like its time to put that car on a diet and beef up the suspension.

it's easy to start with...
      you can remove:

back seats
      spare tire and jack
      front and rear bumper supports
      air conditioning
      radio and speakers
      carpet padding/noise insulation
      t-top holders (if equipped)
      carpet and trim in the trunk area
      relocate the battery to the rear of the car for better balance
      sunvisors

If you are able to strip the interior you can also get rid of the dash, airbags, glove box, center console.... I'm not sure what rules apply to the class you will compete in or how serious you are about winning.

You'll also want to maybe consider a brake upgrade.
      Tracy
      2002 C5 M6 Convertible
      1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
      Current Mods:
      SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

I'll be using the car in SCCA F-stock class, so that's why I'm concerned about the difference in the springs and swaybars--since you cannot change those in stock class (actually, you can change the front bar, but that's it)--only the shocks.

If the FOrmula is the same as a Trans Am (at least in the engine, tranny, and suspension areas) minus the body kit and some options, I think I'll be all over it. THanks for the info.

Comment

There was a "1LE" suspension option for these cars, that included upgraded suspension components. Can you use those, as long as it was an available option for the car you run?
          Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Originally posted by Injuneer
            There was a "1LE" suspension option for these cars, that included upgraded suspension components. Can you use those, as long as it was an available option for the car you run?
            I can (as long as it was available on the exact model year--1995 in this case), but the 1LE option also deleted several items from my understanding, and I would have to make the car an all 1LE car, which would take a lot of money to delete options.

So, if you upgrade an options package, you have to upgrade the entire package. You cannot pick and choose certain elements to use.

Comment

The big "delete" item, through the 95 model year was the A/C. After 95, A/C was available with 1LE, but then you had to have the WS6 Ram Air package to get the 1LE on the T/A or Formula.
              Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Working...
              X