Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Sail Panel Subs

Hey,

Heres a pic of my new Digital Audio sail panel subs that I installed. They are 3ohm single voice coil speakers, so they are 1 ohm higher than the 2ohm dual voice coil speakers that were in there. They are a tad bit quieter, but they sound great, and most of all they don't bottom out or rattle like the old ones did.

I run them off the stock Monsoon system for now. Someday I might rip out the Monsoon system and upgrade everything, but for now these are a great improvement. They cost about $95 for the pair.

...Tim
    Attached Files

Can you compensate by turning up the bass? Is the sound quality better?

Those aren't true subs right? The stock ones are speakers with the treble and midrange filtered out if I remember right.

The monsoon system is a pain to upgrade. I'd love to do it, but not the cost of replacing the entire system. Looks like GM jumped through hoops to save money and make the system appear better. Personally, I preferred the bose system in the pre-97 cars. Monsoon has better specs, but lower sound quality IMO.
    Joe K.
    '11 BMW 328i
    '10 Matrix S AWD
    Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

Well

Well the sound that makes its way to the speakers is filtered before it even gets to the speakers. You can plug any speaker into those wires and you will only hear a certain frequency range. Probably 80hz and below (Just Guessing)

Sure you can mess with the EQ settings.

They sound great! They don't bottom out which is what I like.

Play And Justice For All album by Metallica in your stock Monsoon system and see how long the midbass speakers last before they start popping cause they bottom out. These won't do that.

...Tim

Comment

Originally posted by Timbers
        Play And Justice For All album by Metallica in your stock Monsoon system and see how long the midbass speakers last before they start popping cause they bottom out.
        Ahh yes, a very good bass-test album for the rock/heavy metal crowd

Did you have to modify anything to get those to work or was it just a plug-and-play deal?
        Steve
        79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
        87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
        93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
        http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

Yah

Yah it is a good album. Metallica has even come out and said they had the bass way too high on that album when they mixed it. It usually bottoms out stock speakers if you aren't careful. It sounds really awsome though on a good system.

Well there are four wires going to each of the stock speakers since they are dual voice coil. These speakers are single voice coil. So, take the longer set of wires on the stock speakers and plug them into these speakers, then just clip the shorter ones, and tie them up, since you won't be using them.

I also had to drill four new screw holes for these, because the holes in the speaker don't line up with the ones that are already drilled in the frame. No big deal, just 5 minutes of extra work.

...Tim

Comment

I went with the JL Audio 6W0's. I modified a plate to push them out about a quarter of an inch, so the magnets cleared. Definately a good spot for some 6" subs.
            1995 Firebird Formula
            (A4 3.23)Ram Air w/ K&N, TransGo Shift Kit w/3 washers ,SLP~Shorty headers, LoudMouth, Air Foil, LineLocks. Catco Cat. Hypertech 160. TB Bypass. MSD~8.5mm. Walbro 255lph. FT MAF ends. LT4KM. BMR~Adj LCA's, Rear sway, Panhard rod. HAL QA1 rear shocks. Random Tech adj TQ arm. Nitto NT555R's. Covered in Zaino. 13.466@103.85 N/A. [1.948 60' 13.410 @ 102.66 11/20/05]

Comment

Hey

How do those sound? Did you do the same thing with the wires that I did, since those are SVC's?

...Tim

Comment

The JL's sound excellent. Just recently removed the MB Quarts from the front, and went with the JL XR653-CS's. I love the sound of the JL seperates. The tweeter & woofer blend the sound together perfectly, not too harsh like the MB Quart tweeters. The 6W0's in the back get all the mirrors vibrating just a bit. It puts a little punch into the back of the seats. Surprises most of the people that go for a ride. They keep looking into the back for subs. (Still retains the factory grill for a steath install too) Looks like your install will too. Only problem is that the subs usually hit the cover in their travel. I was thinking of eventually going with a cloth cover.

I am pretty sure the 6W0's were 4ohm SVC's. I have an older Phoenix gold 35x2 amp driving the subs, and another amp for the fronts. Head unit only has rca out. Sony CDX-C90. The sony is about 7yrs old...

Someday I am going to end up putting all my old car audio stuff up for sale... just not any time soon. Most of it will probably end up in the winter beater.
                1995 Firebird Formula
                (A4 3.23)Ram Air w/ K&N, TransGo Shift Kit w/3 washers ,SLP~Shorty headers, LoudMouth, Air Foil, LineLocks. Catco Cat. Hypertech 160. TB Bypass. MSD~8.5mm. Walbro 255lph. FT MAF ends. LT4KM. BMR~Adj LCA's, Rear sway, Panhard rod. HAL QA1 rear shocks. Random Tech adj TQ arm. Nitto NT555R's. Covered in Zaino. 13.466@103.85 N/A. [1.948 60' 13.410 @ 102.66 11/20/05]

Comment

Working...
                X