AC Control

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AC Control

I have a '96 Firebird, and also a '95 Grandprix. Is there any good reason that in the Firebird the A/C comes on with the defrosters instead of having a separate push button for it like the GP? First, I hate it in the morning when I turn on the defrosters to have cold air come out before the car is warm, and second I hate that I'm running a HP robbing compressor when I don't need/want it. I'm seriously considering running a separate switch to control the A/C. Don't know how easy that would be. Comments?
    '96 Firebird Formula, LT1, stock, automatic

I asked a friend mechanic about that to and the answer I got back was that it's a good idea to turn on the compressor at least once a month in the winter time to keep the seals lubricated otherwise they dry out and break. So the auto manufacturers make it so the compressor turn on when in defrost mode to make the compressor last longer.
    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Also it dries out the air that can otherwise fog up the windshield.

Comment

A/c shuts off at WOT.

Both the other guys are right about periodic use and drying the air. Your defrost will suck without it.

Comment

Working...
        X