Have you ever seen anything like this

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have you ever seen anything like this

Well, i put a new motor together with a pretty nice hydraulic cam. As we have been working with some tuning and stuff we noticed that the distributor gear was beginning to strip. So we put a new gear dowsed it with oil and drove it around and it appeared to be fine. So as i was driving down the interstate the motor cut. so i took the distributor cap off and it wasn't even spinning. I took the distributor out and there wasn't much of a gear left. so now i have to strip the motor to find out what the heck is going on with the stupid thing. Does anybody have any ideas of what could have caused this? I had great oil pressure if that helps at all. I have never seen anything like this... what a waste of time and money. someone please give me some ideas. oh if this helps when we test drove the car before the gear had stripped, it would pull so hard until about 5800 rpm you could tell it felt like the motor was letting up a little.. and then at 6000 rpm it almost sounded like i had a rev limiter. could these problems some how be connected?
    67'maro slightly modified... http://www.cardomain.com/id/chevydrag

Did you set the depth corectly on the distributor if you didnt that may be why the gear is getting destroyed. My guess on the motor busting up at 6000(assumeing you have a 67with gen 1 block with an HEI) is that the hei is giving up they usually break up around there, my other guess if your cam is a hydraulic flat tappet is that you may be floating the valves at 6000.
    1994 Z28 Camaro-Project carbed 4th gen
    1995 Silverado-beater truck
    2005 Colorado Z71-Daily driver

Comment

I'm real rusty on this stuff, but back when I had a Mopar, I found out that some gear metals aren't compatible with eachother. If you have a steel roller cam gear, you might need a bronze distributor drive gear.

Comment

Working...
      X