Tires that Squeel

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tires that Squeel

What make up of a tire makes it squeel more over others when you hit the gas? Is it getting good traction that makes it squeel loud, or a combination of spinning alot, and a hard rubber compound with long tread life over a soft 1 with less tread life?
    94 Formula LT1 (Aqua Metallic) - Auto. - 104,000 miles - Charcoal Leather Mods: Magnaflow Muffler, Lingenfelter CAI, MadZ28 Tune, 160F Hyp. T-Stat., 1LE Elbow, & Summit Cutout. Options: 155 MPH Gauge Cluster, & 255-50ZR-16 Tires.

Originally posted by EquatorHeat00
    What make up of a tire makes it squeel more over others when you hit the gas? Is it getting good traction that makes it squeel loud, or a combination of spinning alot, and a hard rubber compound with long tread life over a soft 1 with less tread life?
    The harder tread compounds make more noise.

Comment

I think you'd really be better off asking about a specific tire you are considering.

Tread patterns, road type, brand/size all influence what is noisy and what is not.

Most low profile summer only tires for our cars are pretty quiet with respect to squeal. It is the all-seasons and touring tires that squeal more.

However high performance tires also tend to be louder with respect to rumbling (highway pattern noise).

Comment

the amount of synthetic rubber in the tread compound vs natural rubber contributes the greatest, the tread pattern does, but proper inflation has more effect on what the tread pattern does... if the tire is properly inflated for your size on your car, then the tire casing construction and belt package make up allows for the tread pattern to flex in the manner it was designed to do = less "squeel"... if the tire is overinflated the tread blocks and tread pattern can not flex properly, and therefore more slip is present, causing more squeel...

the higher the speed rating, the more natural rubber involved for dry and wet traction and heat dispersion properties, and thats less "squeel"......

popping the clutch at 4,000 rpm causes squeel too...........LOL

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
        Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
        sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Also, the more expensive the tires are, the more our wives will "squeel"
          Darrin C
          '97 Z28 LT1 157K (((S O L D ))) A4, C/I Cold Air Induction, Flomaster Exhaust, SLP Fan Control Mod, Eibach Springs w/1" Drop, Racing Dynamics Shock Tower Brace, Lakewood LCA's.
          07 Ford F150 - Daily Driver. I went from f-body to f-series. I think I'm out of my f'in mind.....

Comment

Originally posted by 97LT1Z28
            Also, the more expensive the tires are, the more our wives will "squeel"
            Man Oh Man can I relate to that one...

Eric W.

89 Firebird Formula WS6
            Accel/Lingenfelter Super Ram
            6.2L/382.97 ci
            Custom PROM Dyno tuned
            WCT-5 speed
            BW 9-bolt Posi 3.45
            Boss MS 18" Rims
            Headman Headers 1 5/8 Ceramic Coated
            Custom Dual exhaust
            1LE upgrade
            Custom Temperature / Navigation Rear View Mirror
            In a constant state of upgrade!

Comment

I'm confused now. I'm looking at the Falken Ziex tire in 255-50ZR-16 its an all season tire, BUT its rated as Y speed which is unusual, and has a 36000 tread life. Will these squeel? My old Falken Ziexs that were V rated with a 235-55V-16 squeeled real loud. I wan't them to SQUEEL? My old worn out Kumhos in 255-50ZR-16 W rated with 28000 tread life are quiet as hell. (i think I have 38,00 to 40,000 miles on these tires. Tread is down to 1/32 in the bad areas, and the good area its at 2/32. Hope they pass inspection next week. Cars getting inspected. Plan on getting new tires by early December anyways before snow gets here.) I need new tires, and want cheap one's. Not looking for traction since I have 2.73 gears ok. lol
              94 Formula LT1 (Aqua Metallic) - Auto. - 104,000 miles - Charcoal Leather Mods: Magnaflow Muffler, Lingenfelter CAI, MadZ28 Tune, 160F Hyp. T-Stat., 1LE Elbow, & Summit Cutout. Options: 155 MPH Gauge Cluster, & 255-50ZR-16 Tires.

Comment

Working...
              X