Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird noise

Hello all,
    I have noticed a weird noise from the rear of the car. It is like a "whaop,whaop,whaop" sound. My brother thinks I need new rotors.
    What do you think?

When does the noise usually occur? Driving? Braking? etc. A little more info would probably help. Also when was the last time it was serviced/ what was done.
    -Dan

1986 350 TPI Trans Am, 700R-4, Flowmaster exhaust, CAI, 180* t/stat, low temp fan switch, SFC's....Sold.

Project Status: LT1 disassembled, researching costs, searching for project car.

Comment

It happends when I am doing highway speeds. It starts when I hit 50mph and doesn't stop it dies down around 75mph. But it doesn't go away. I cannot drive with my fiance and her kids. It is too annoying.
      It was last serviced a 36,000 miles. It has 40,400.
      It had tire rotation and oil change. Basic checks for the service. It was doing it before the rotation.
      It didn't help like I thought it would.

Comment

The stock differentials on f-bodies are weak and they do go out quite often. My car is pretty much stock and when my rear-end went out, it made the same noise. The carrier bearing went sending metal shavings throughout the entire rear axle assembly. By the time I got it into the shop, the entire rear-end was toast. I needed the entire rear-end rebuilt and had to replace both axles since the metal shavings ate into them.

Drain the rear-end and look at the magnet on the back cover. If it's full of shavings (more than the usual amount for wear-and-tear), that's your problem. Good luck!
        Darrin C
        '97 Z28 LT1 157K (((S O L D ))) A4, C/I Cold Air Induction, Flomaster Exhaust, SLP Fan Control Mod, Eibach Springs w/1" Drop, Racing Dynamics Shock Tower Brace, Lakewood LCA's.
        07 Ford F150 - Daily Driver. I went from f-body to f-series. I think I'm out of my f'in mind.....

Comment

Working...
        X