Change differential fluid.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Change differential fluid.

I'm going to change my rear diff fluid before the car goes away for hibernation. Is it OK to use Permatex blue RTV to seal the differential cover back on? or.. is there some other sealant / gasket I should use? I want to make sure it doesn't leak.
    Tracy
    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
    Current Mods:
    SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Any sealant will work...honestly, why not just use the paper gasket? Since the system is not pressurized, leaks are not common, from the diff. cover that is. Now, leaks from the front pinion seal...they all leak.

I 've used sealants on the gasket as well...

Just make sure the sealant is designed for oil/gasoline environments, as diff. fluid is quite corrosive.
    Al 96 Ram Air T/A
    Mods: Build # 784 * Hotchkis STB * SFCs * Borla cat back w/QTP cut-out * AS&M/RK Sports Mid-length headers w/single CAT * Koni SA shocks on lower perch w/ lowered rear * Strano Hollow front & rear antisway bars * 1LE front/rear springs * 1LE aluminum driveshaft * Strange 4.10 gears w/ Zexel Torsen diff. * ARP bearing cap studs & aluminum diff cover* J&M Hotpart poly/poly rear LCAs and poly/poly panhard bar * RAM Powergrip clutch w/ LT4 PP and RAM billet Al flywheel * C5 Z06 brakes * C6 Z06 wheels * Spohn T/A * Spohn DS Loop * fully custom interior w/ custom audio

Comment

Paper gasket with a thin smear of RTV on both sides is usually what I do. Of course, absolutely clean before installing is a must.
      Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

10-4 guys.

On my way home from work I stopped and picked up:

paper gasket
        4 qts Amsoil synthetic gear lube
        1 tube limited slip addative

I already have a tube of Permatex to use on the gasket.

It looks like I'm set. Thanks for the advice!
        Tracy
        2002 C5 M6 Convertible
        1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
        Current Mods:
        SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

u coulda used the RTV sealant, thats what we do when we rebuild rears and such. esp since the customers hate to see the final cost
          2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Ok guys the job is done. It took 1.5 quarts of lube and a 7oz tube od LSD additive. Does that sound about right?
            Tracy
            2002 C5 M6 Convertible
            1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
            Current Mods:

Comment

Yup. When you said 4 qts. I thought , but now you got enough for the life of the car (or at least, the life of the rear end).

Comment

Is there any perticular brand of oil that you put in there better then the other?
                96 Camaro Z28, T-tops, 6 Speed, Slp CIA, Flowmaster cat-back, 3:42 gears

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin - Blown 95 TA
                  Yup. When you said 4 qts. I thought , but now you got enough for the life of the car (or at least, the life of the rear end).
                  Ok, cool. The guy at the store told me it took 3.5 quarts. I was kinda shocked at that, because the diff is not that big.

I'm a little upset they made me buy 2 extra at $10/quart. I might just return the extra two.
                  Tracy
                  2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                  1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                  Current Mods:

Comment

Originally posted by TraceZ
                    Ok, cool. The guy at the store told me it took 3.5 quarts. I was kinda shocked at that, because the diff is not that big.

I'm a little upset they made me buy 2 extra at $10/quart. I might just return the extra two.
                    My 12 bolt takes just shy of 2 quarts.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin - Blown 95 TA
                      My 12 bolt takes just shy of 2 quarts.
                      Yeah, that makes more sense. Next, I'm going to change the brake fluid. It's 12 years old. I bought a "mightyvac" today at Harbor Freight. This should be fun.
                      Tracy
                      2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                      1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                      Current Mods:

Comment

Working...
                      X