HPP3 - Remove Tune

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HPP3 - Remove Tune

Would I be better off removing my HPP3 power tune, or keeping it installed? I don't have headers, and it doesnt work well with headers I know. Suppose to work on almost stock cars which I am. Will removing it give me more horsepower, and torque or less? Anyone ever do a stock run with it on, and off? (Not with modded cars which of course will make you slower.)
    94 Formula LT1 (Aqua Metallic) - Auto. - 104,000 miles - Charcoal Leather Mods: Magnaflow Muffler, Lingenfelter CAI, MadZ28 Tune, 160F Hyp. T-Stat., 1LE Elbow, & Summit Cutout. Options: 155 MPH Gauge Cluster, & 255-50ZR-16 Tires.

I haven't been around LT1s for a long time, but from what I remember, the gain you get from the HPP3 is marginal if any. Hopefully someone with more current experience will chime in.
    LS15 Power! Another LSx engine coming soon.

Comment

I saw a magazine article where they dyno tested the HPP on a fairly stock 96 LT1. They lost about 5HP. Then they installed the 160degF t'stat, lowered the fan temps, and gained about 10HP.

I had the HPP and tested the "tuning" using a Vericom accelerometer, and couldn't detect any difference in performance one way or the other.
      Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

I have the 180 thermostate, and fans are lowered from the stock settings for a 180 stat, but not the 160. Theres 3 fan settings. I'm in the middle. Don't plan on getting the 160 stat, so should I remove the program? I wish there were some dyno runs with this thing on when car is stock except for maybe exhaust, and cai. If car runs richer with this program does that mean I use up more gas? (If, so I will just remove since there seems to be no gain.)
        94 Formula LT1 (Aqua Metallic) - Auto. - 104,000 miles - Charcoal Leather Mods: Magnaflow Muffler, Lingenfelter CAI, MadZ28 Tune, 160F Hyp. T-Stat., 1LE Elbow, & Summit Cutout. Options: 155 MPH Gauge Cluster, & 255-50ZR-16 Tires.

Comment

I'm not aware that the program causes the engine to run richer. Typically, you gain the most HP over stock LT1 tuning by leaning the A/F ratio at WOT.

And, the HPP can not alter the tuning for "normal" (moderate load/moderate throttle) driving. The 14.7:1 stoichiometric A/F ratio used in closed loop is hard coded into the PCM. You will always see the same fuel economy at part load. Aftermarket tuning, and the HPP can only alter the "WOT" (or Power Enrichment mode) tuning, and you only see that change in fuel economy when you are at full throttle. So its unlikely you wuold notice any appreciable difference in fuel economy with or without the HPP.... unless of course you always drive with your foot on the floor.....

The easiest way to decide what to do would be to find a long straight stretch of road, and try some pulls for a given distance with and without the "power tuning".
          Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Working...
          X