89 IROC-Z ignition upgrade suggestion requests

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 89 IROC-Z ignition upgrade suggestion requests

I have an '89 IROC with 5.7 TPI and 20k orginal miles. i am replacing all of the stock ignition components, ie, cap, plugs, wires, rotor. I am wondering if there is better after market equipment available. I apologize for my ignorance, i've recently aquired the vehicle and don't know much about them. I am hoping to solicit suggestions from owners who have made sucessful upgrades.

thanks!

Considering the engine is still basically stock (sounds like it is, if it's not let us know), the stock ignition parts will be more than adequate. The stock GM HEI system (usually referred to technically as "GM small cap HEI with external coil") is a pretty well designed system from the factory. I would stick with factory replacement parts for now.

Just make sure all of the factory replacement stuff is good, though. Make sure the distributor cap terminals are brass, instead of the usual aluminum-looking ones. And make sure the spark plug wires have all the right ends on them, all 90* boots on the distributor end and almost all 90* boots on the spark plugs ends (most 3rd gens need 2 or 3 180* or "straight" spark plug boots to clear the exhaust manifolds).

Also, another really good message board I'd recommend for you to check out is www.thirdgen.org . If we can't answer your questions, they can.
    1991 Chevy Camaro RS (Is it plum or purple?)
    Engine: 305 TBI (L03)
    Trans: TH700R4
    Mods: Some

CarDomain Site

Comment

Working...
    X