EGR Gasket/Template for blockoffs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EGR Gasket/Template for blockoffs

I'm looking for EGR gaskets to use as templates for the 3 plates so I can make my own blockoffs, but all I can find at parts stores is the one that goes between the EGR valve and the intake manifold. Are the other two dealer-only parts, or can I find a kit w/ all 3 somewhere?

Thanks in advance
    1996 T/A - BBK headers & throttle body, K&N filter, 1.6:1 Comp Cams Pro Magnums, Warbird hood w/ SLP Ram-Air

You can buy an EGR valve blockoff from GM.... it was a factory item on the LT4 Corvettes. You have to remove the valve though, you can't just sandwich the plate between the valve and the manifold. The valve/pintle projects into the back of the manifold.

The exhaust manifold plate and the intake manifold plate are not factory items.

You can buy a 3-piece set in polished aluminum from SJM Manufacturing. I have his set.

http://www.sjmmanufacturing.com
    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

How come the lt4 corvettes did not need an EGR valve?
      96 Camaro Z28/A4,Vortech elbow,Moroso CAI,Flowmaster.Addco PHR,LCA,160* Stat,pcmforless,1LE Driveshaft,1LE A/C delete pulley,1LE Front sway bar,Strut brace,sub frames, LT4 knock module,255 lph pump,Cutout,

Comment

because the cam has a quite a bit of valve overlap causing some exhaust the get into the intake. Or at least thats the logical theory why it doesn't have an EGR.

LT4KM, 160' TS, MAF ends, TB-BP, GMPP 1.6 R/R, SLP CAI, LCA, Adj. tierod, BMR tower brace, 17x9"F/R, 275/40R17 GY F1 tires. WS6 Muffler, LS1 DS. 21mm rear sway bar. Soon to be LT4 heads, intake, & HOT cam

Comment

Why couldnt you just cut/grind the pintle off?
          No F-Body right now

Comment

Originally posted by Red20170
            How come the lt4 corvettes did not need an EGR valve?
            The cam profile was such that it negated the need for EGR.
            Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

Originally posted by Injuneer
              You can buy an EGR valve blockoff from GM.... it was a factory item on the LT4 Corvettes. You have to remove the valve though, you can't just sandwich the plate between the valve and the manifold. The valve/pintle projects into the back of the manifold.

The exhaust manifold plate and the intake manifold plate are not factory items.

You can buy a 3-piece set in polished aluminum from SJM Manufacturing. I have his set.

http://www.sjmmanufacturing.com

I'd prefer to make my own plates though, so I need templates to do so. I can easily trace one off my old exhaust manifold, and buy a 99cent gasket to trace for the one surface on the intake, but that still leaves one other port on the intake. Is that one not gasketed, hence the availability of only one "EGR Gasket" at parts stores?
              1996 T/A - BBK headers & throttle body, K&N filter, 1.6:1 Comp Cams Pro Magnums, Warbird hood w/ SLP Ram-Air

Comment

I'm sure the aftermarket parts sources are only addressing the actual EGR valve replacment, and that's why its the only gasket they routinely carry. I doubt many people ever have to replace the corrugated riser tube. And if they did, I can't recall if it was even gasketed. I know it was not gasketed at the #8 exhaust runner. Its a sloppy connection with only one bolt holding it. That's another location where you can't just sandwich the blanking plate, because the end of the corrugated tube sticks into the hole in the exhust manifold. Only the upper end of the hose can use a "sandwich" approach, since that end of the tube is flat. I think the upper end had a graphite impregnated gasket.

Take the corrugated tube off and trace the outline of the flange to make a template for the plates. Same with the EGR valve.

I guess you could grind the face of the EGR valve down and trash a piece you could sell for a few bucks.... that's up to you.
                Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

On both my 93 and 97, the manifold end is the tube with basically an o-ring on the end. It goes into the manifold and the studs/nuts clamp it down. If you are going to delete this, you'll need to cut your own gasket or use ultra high temp silicone to form a gasket.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
                    On both my 93 and 97, the manifold end is the tube with basically an o-ring on the end. It goes into the manifold and the studs/nuts clamp it down. If you are going to delete this, you'll need to cut your own gasket or use ultra high temp silicone to form a gasket.
                    Ok, I just remembered there was no gasket for the cheesy 1-bolt flange on the exhaust, I never removed the manifold end of the tube so I didn't know that there wasn't one there either. I was planning on cutting my own metal plates and removing the equipment, so I'm not worried about the poker on the EGR valve or the end of the tube that sticks into the manifold. I'll just have to removed the stuff and trace the flanges...
                    Thanks all

Comment

Working...
                    X