Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

rear end damage, fred, joe, whoever can help... w/in!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, perfectly centered in the wheel well. Once I put the torque arm on and it raised the rear end it was centered.
    97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

Originally posted by raroZ28
      Yes, perfectly centered in the wheel well. Once I put the torque arm on and it raised the rear end it was centered.
      Good to hear.
      2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

The vibration could be anything from a out of balence or slightly bent driveshaft to a bad trans mount. With the damage that was done, it could literally be anything. I've seen non concentric U joints do this, a bent driveshaft (especially with the damage done), bent yoke, and so on. best thing to do would be put the car up in the air so that the rear wheels spin freely and see if you can see anything vibrating as the wheels are brought up to speed.

Comment

I don't think it's the driveshaft, because it doesn't do it when the car is driving or moving, it's just when it's idling. Vibration from the motor causes it. When I am driving it smooths out for the most part.
          97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

Comment

Originally posted by raroZ28
            I don't think it's the driveshaft, because it doesn't do it when the car is driving or moving, it's just when it's idling. Vibration from the motor causes it. When I am driving it smooths out for the most part.
            Then look at motor mounts and transmission mount.

Comment

This is just a shot in the dark, but after I ran over a tire on the highway I had a rattling noise coming from the passenger side of the car (almost under the seat) I tried and tried to find it, until I stumbled upon it while under the car; the cross brace that goes under the driveshaft and exhaust just after the transmission got bent up into the exhaust pipe. When I would start out the vibration was enough to rattle the exhaust against the brace. When I got up to speed it went away. An easy thing to check out.
              '96 Firebird Formula, LT1, stock, automatic

Comment

brothapig, went and checked after you posted this and sure enough that's what it was. Didn't suspect it because breaking a torque arm wouldn't really effect that, I wouldn't think. But when I removed the driveshaft, I had to loosen a U bolt clamp to get it outta the way, and it was bumping off the bottom of the car.

Sometimes it's the simplest things.

I walked away with just a ten dollar repair, a stock torque arm. That's it. I thought I had blown the rear end too. It's all good now. Thanks everyone.

Comment

Working...
                X