Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• security light

hello everyone !

well i have an aggravating problem. here lately more often than not when i go to start my car i have power but starter won't kick in or anything. when this happens, the "security" light comes on on the dashboard..usually you would have to wait 5 minutes for it to go off then it would start right up, but lately it has been doing it back to back 2 or 3 times !. does anyone know about this problem ?
    Black on black 1995 base t-top camaro with a 3.4L

1. Clean your keys
    2. Try your spare key
    3. You may have to replace your ignition cylinder
    4. You may have to replace your security module

KnightFire
    1993 Formula Firebird
    Check Homepage for mods and photos...

KnightFire's Lair

Amsoil Dealer

Comment

Knightfire is right. On your key is a resistor pellet. The ignition cylinder has contacts in it to connect with this resistor. The security module is expecting to see a specific resistance in the pellet on the key. If there is a break in this system anywhere the PCM will lite the security indicator. I would guess that it's the key or the cylinder. But somehow somewhere between the two there is a contact problem. First try a different key, then change the cylinder.

Comment

ignition cylinder

ok, thanks guys. it's not the keys, so just the cylinder i guess. I am pretty descent at doing things myself, but is this something more than what the average shadetreee mechanic should do ?

Comment

Read your shop manual and buy the right tools if you don't have them already. It is a difficult job, but do-able. Similar to changing the turn-signal switch. Carefull with the airbag and be patient!

Comment

See if this helps. http://csce.uark.edu/~jgbertr/rb/ign...itch_repl.html
            2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

I do not believe the actual ignition switch located under the dash on the lower column is the problem here. A problem there would not light the security light. I believe the problem is the lock cylinder that the key actually goes in. To remove that, disconnect the negative bat cable and pull the steering wheel. The lock wheel and turnsignal switch then come out and there is a single screw holding in the lock cylinder. Find instructions in your shop manual for details because I have never pulled a wheel with an airbag, nor have I pulled a lock cylinder with a VATS pickup in it. All the ones I have done have been GEN3 Camaros with no airbag or VATS. (Vehicle Anti Theft System).

Comment

OOPS Sorry. I scanned the article and thought it applied.
                2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

I just had my Ignition lock cylinder replaced a couple of months ago. But the error is different for the lock cylinder than the keys.

If the security lite is coming on and then resetting after 3 min, the problem should be with the key, or the lock cylinder is dirty and just needs to be cleaned.

If the lock cylinder, or some other part of the VATS is truly faulty the light will stay on and the code will not reset.

Before you go thru the hassle of replacing the lock cylinder, try having a new key made and use some "canned" air to clean out the lock cylinder. It will be much cheaper.

Randy
                  99 TA "RBLUTA" - NBM, M6, Whisper Lid, SLP Fan Switch, 160* Thermo, SLP LM, BMR STB & LCA's.

***SOLD*** It will be missed!!
                  93 Formula "FRMLAV8" -383 Stroker

Comment

Alternative Idea....

I believe you can also have the VATS security disabled in your PCM when you get a re-program...Just a thought, I'm not sure what the cost of replacing the ign. cyl. will be, but if it's very much, you may be able to "kill 2 birds" and get some custom programming at the same time.

Flash - '97 Black WS/6, Intercooled Powerdyne 11# , LTCC Coil Per Cylinder Ignition, OPTI High Voltage Deleted, 160, Short Stick, BMR-STB, adjustable Shocks, PP+ w/scan, !CAGS, Flowmaster 3" cat-back... 43k miles as of Aug. 2006

**-** BOOST, it's no replacement for displacement, and there's definitely no replacement for having both!

Comment

From above post....
                      "If the lock cylinder, or some other part of the VATS is truly faulty the light will stay on and the code will not reset."

If the contact inside the lock cylinder is worn so it does not contact the key then the system will think the problem is the key and show the symptoms that are being seen here.

Comment

I see what your are saying, and that makes sense.

Drake -
                        Just out of curiosity, did you try your second key, or a spare key?

I would just hate for you to have to spend the money for the lock cylinder if you don't have to.
                        99 TA "RBLUTA" - NBM, M6, Whisper Lid, SLP Fan Switch, 160* Thermo, SLP LM, BMR STB & LCA's.

***SOLD*** It will be missed!!
                        93 Formula "FRMLAV8" -383 Stroker

Comment

keys

yeah Frm..

i tried both sets of keys and it does it to both. but however the pellets on the keys do look pretty worn. but it would be strange that it just happened to start doing it to both keys at the same time. I guess i'll just try blowing out the cylinder pretty good first !

Comment

Working...
                          X