scan software and cables

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• scan software and cables

I just got a laptop specifically for using it for scanning the engine , which software and cables would you reccomend?
    its for a 95 and an 93 obd1 and obd2
    93 t/a A4 3.23s
    95 Formula A4 2.73s >>>>93 t/a 3.23 , !AIR, !cat, !A/C, hotchkis lowering springs, kyb adj shocks, DD
    99 Camaro z28 a4, 2.73, !AIR, !A/C
    99 Alfa Romeo 166 3.0 v6, red
    97 3.8 v6 A4 camaro, hardtop
    93 Camaro Z28 M6, hotcam kit, 150 shot, twin plate clutch, eibach pro kit and bilstein shocks, swaybars etc
    00 audi a6 4.2 40 valve v8

Some choices:
    www.akmcables.com
    www.aldlcable.com
    www.pcmforless.com
    www.moates.net
    www.wotelectronics.com

http://www.ttspowersystems.com/diagnostic.htm -free download with a number of free uses before you have to buy.

http://www.andywhittaker.com/ecu/ecu_software.htm totally free.

Both the 93 and 95 should be OBD-I. (a 95 f-body will have a OBD-II shaped DLC, but the computer is OBD-I. You must get a special cable for it.)
    Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

where do you get these cables?
      1996 Trans Am WS6

A4, 3" VForce Catback, Corvette C6 rims, Slotted and Drilled Rotors, 160*stat, BMR SFC, HPP3, B&M Shift Kit.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob B (shoebox)
        .....(a 95 f-body will have a OBD-II shaped DLC, but the computer is OBD-I. You must get a special cable for it.)
        That is if it is a V8 car. I believe the V6 cars have the OBDII computer. He doesn't say what the 95 is.
        Originally posted by redws6
        I got mine from http://www.akmcables.com/
        2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

95 formula(v8), 93 t/a

Thanks,
          is there any way I can make the cables myself? do the connect with the pc via usb?
          93 t/a A4 3.23s
          95 Formula A4 2.73s >>>>93 t/a 3.23 , !AIR, !cat, !A/C, hotchkis lowering springs, kyb adj shocks, DD
          99 Camaro z28 a4, 2.73, !AIR, !A/C
          99 Alfa Romeo 166 3.0 v6, red
          97 3.8 v6 A4 camaro, hardtop
          93 Camaro Z28 M6, hotcam kit, 150 shot, twin plate clutch, eibach pro kit and bilstein shocks, swaybars etc
          00 audi a6 4.2 40 valve v8

Comment

Originally posted by TRANS AM IN EUROPE
            95 formula(v8), 93 t/a

Thanks,
            is there any way I can make the cables myself? do the connect with the pc via usb?
            No. When you get the cable it comes with a electronics box that has an IC in it (electronics). I don't know what it does.
            2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Originally posted by redws6
              LOL, I listed 5 places to get cables in the first of my post.
              Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

Originally posted by TRANS AM IN EUROPE
                95 formula(v8), 93 t/a

Thanks,
                The akm site has schematics and also a kit, if you want to make your own cable.

Comment

I made a cable for my 94 chevy pickup, which should work on any GM OBD1 computer. I got the two-transistor circuit schematic from www.aldlcable.com The parts only cost about $10 at Radio Shack, but I already had the serial connector. It took me about an hour to make, with my Dad holding the wires so I could solder them. If you do decide to make your own, be careful not to burn up the components, especially the transistors. To protect them, have an assistant hold some needle-nose pliers on both sides of the solder joint, to absorb the heat so it doesn't get to the components.
                  To answer your question about USB, the cable that I made uses the serial port (it is a D-shaped port with 9 pins). Most newer laptops don't have serial ports, so if yours doesn't, you will have to buy a USB to serial converter, which I think are around $20 - $35. If you do plan on getting a converter, check the manual for the scanning software to see which ones are compatable. Your other option is to buy a USB ALDL cable that is already made from moates.net.
                  95 A4 Z28 with 146K miles

My DD is a 94 Chevy 1/2 ton 2wd w/ 2/4 drop and 20" Centerline Stingray III's

Comment

www.OBD-2.com

Been using his set-up for years and years. He even has custom software for the F-bods.
                    Al 96 Ram Air T/A
                    Mods: Build # 784 * Hotchkis STB * SFCs * Borla cat back w/QTP cut-out * AS&M/RK Sports Mid-length headers w/single CAT * Koni SA shocks on lower perch w/ lowered rear * Strano Hollow front & rear antisway bars * 1LE front/rear springs * 1LE aluminum driveshaft * Strange 4.10 gears w/ Zexel Torsen diff. * ARP bearing cap studs & aluminum diff cover* J&M Hotpart poly/poly rear LCAs and poly/poly panhard bar * RAM Powergrip clutch w/ LT4 PP and RAM billet Al flywheel * C5 Z06 brakes * C6 Z06 wheels * Spohn T/A * Spohn DS Loop * fully custom interior w/ custom audio

Comment

Working...
                    X