mufflex question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mufflex question

I am deep into my project carbed 4th gen, and its time to run exhaust. I have ceramic coated hooker long tubes and I want to run a mufflex Y pipe thats for 3in collectors and merges into a 4, then I want to run a single 4 out the back. My question is how is the quality on their stuff like the fit and finish? Also how much ground clearance is lost, and how much horsepower can a single 4 support?
    1994 Z28 Camaro-Project carbed 4th gen
    1995 Silverado-beater truck
    2005 Colorado Z71-Daily driver

I'm sure Fred will chime in as well, but the fit and finish is good. It's a tight fit over the panhard rod. Fred didn't have to modify anything, but I had to get the BMR panhard brace relocator kit. It was originally designed for clearance of twin 3" exhaust over the axle...... which gives good clearance for the 4" single. ground clearance is still good too.

http://www.f-body.com/forum/showthre...hlight=Mufflex

Comment

I ran 800HP - 381 w/ 300-shot of nitrous - through the Mufflex 4" (that is now on Joe's car). A buddy of mine pushed 1,125HP - 383 w/ 20# of Vortech boost - through his. When he pulled the 4" Mufflex off to save weight, he dynoed his setup with only some Borla XR-1 shorties hanging on the collectors, and he saw no HP difference compared to the Mufflex.

The quality of the Mufflex pipes is very good. Everything is mandrel bent, using jigs. All my work is done by Mufflex in their shop, and its as good as it gets.

Mufflex has had some problems with the Y-pipes for the Hooker LT's. The problems started when Hooker moved their production to Mexico, and the dimensional control of the LT's went to hell. Denny at Mufflex had to revise his design to leave the collector flanges loose (the folks in Mexico didn't realize it would be a good idea to always orient the collector flanges/holes in the same direction), and incorporate a slip-fit on one side so there was enough "give" to accomodate the sloppy Hooker dimensional tolerances. Mufflex got a lot of bad press when people had problems with matching the Y-pipe to the Hookers, but from everything I know, it was a Hooker problem, not a Mufflex problem.

Ground clearance will be a problem with most LT's. The drivers side has no channels in the floor pan for the exhaust. Its gonna stick down. The front of my car was dropped about 1.8" and the cat (or muffler) scraped on everything. I do NOT have Hooker LT's.... I have AS&M's with the collector modified to run straight back on the drivers side. But I had Mufflex fab up a dual cat 3" Y-pipe with flanges so I could drop out the cats and insert the Borla shorty mufflers for the track.

On the lift at Mufflex:

Current setup, also by Mufflex:

Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Perhaps I should have added that I am not running long tubes. I use SLP shorties with a Random Tech High Flow Dual Cat Y pipe. It ends up to be 3" at the tail of the Y pipe where the mufflex attaches. I have no clearance issues, even with a lowered car. Nice and throaty too.

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply, and im glad I asked. The Y pipe not matching to the collectors worries me, I think ill give mufflex a call and see what they think. It seems that ground clearance may be a problem I have lowering springs and a deep Milodon oil pan which hangs a good bit below the BMR fab K-member, but I only thought that the pan was close then I put the headers on and they are a couple inches lower than the pan.
          1994 Z28 Camaro-Project carbed 4th gen
          1995 Silverado-beater truck
          2005 Colorado Z71-Daily driver

Comment

Working...
          X