Newbie in need of Guidance

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie in need of Guidance

Ok, I'm new. Just got my hands on an '01 black TA w/o ws-6, w/41k miles, M6 w/factory hurst, and it's a virgin except for tips from an '02 ws-6. It's my DD so I have to keep some driveability, but I want to play with and increase the performance.

Long-term goals: 400+ RWHP and improved overall handling, but I don't want to go the super/turbo route.

So, I'm looking for advice as to what mods to make. Below is a list of those I was considering. Any suggestions as to brand, type, sequence, things I left out, or whether or not it is a good idea at all would be appreciated.

1. Induction - Thinking SLP cold air package with K&N filters and a new massflow sensor
    2. Exhaust - know I need it for HP gains, but I kinda like the sound of my tips now and I hate the doubles from SLP. LT vs shorties?
    3. Programming - handheld vs. custom PCM programming? At what point as far as mods is a custom tune worth it? If all the extra power is available in the stock LS1 why didn't pontiac program it that way in the first place? Will it hurt my engine?
    4. Ignition-new plugs and wires, possibly a booster pack
    5. Engine - roller rockers? push rods? Anything else got a lot of bang for buck?
    6. Suspension/shocks - only name I know is Bilstein
    7. Handling - subframe connectors, sway bar, pan hard bar? Any suggestions here.
    8. Rear end - when are new gears needed or at what point do I have to strengthen the RE as far as HP gains?
    9. Lights - Just wondering what everyone thought about the Breathless Performance Le Mans style light packages.

Like I said many times, I'm new, but I love cars and I want to experiment with this one. Don't care if I have to do a little research to figure things out, but I just thought that this might be a good place to get a few suggestions to start out with. Thanks ahead of time for all the help. Oh yeah, if any of this is already been beat to death point me toward the thread and I'll read it myself.

Joe
    '01 Black TA, M6 Factory Hurst, flowmaster cat backs

Well, here's a quick summary write up: http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=361959

I'm mostly an LT1 guy. I just picked up my LS1 last March. But here's some quick answeres. I can't give you many specifics, but 400+HP shouldn't be a problem.

1. Induction - get a cold air lid. They'll all give you pretty much the same gains. K&N is probably optional.

2. Exhaust - Get a 3" catback system. Preferences vary. There's a wide variety to choose from. I prefer a Borla with the built in cutout with an electric cutout installed. There are many picutres online and different sound clips you can listen to. Longtube headers are what you need for maximum power (especially if you're putting in a cam), but check with you state emissions laws first to see how far you want to go. Exhaust leaks can be a problem with headers, but can be mostly nullified with Stage 8 header bolts and an aluminum gasket.

3. Programming - A must after you put in a cam, headers, and rockers/springs. For that I would NOT use a handheld. You could do a mail-in tune with PCMforless or madz28. The best, and most expensive tune would be done on a dyno.

4. Ignition - someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the stock ignition system should be fine. I know the LT1 system was pretty efficient. A lot of folks like NGK plugs.

5. Engine - You'll want roller rockers/valve springs to get the most out of a cam. Again, I'm mostly an LT1 guy, so take a look around to see the rockers guys use.

6. Suspension/shocks - I don't have much experience here, but the lower control arms are ususally the first suspension upgrade. If you lower the car, than you'll need control arm relocation brackets as well. Depending on the power you could replace the panhard rod and torque arm.

7. Handling - You'll want subframe connectors. That's ususally one of the first mods folks do. Also a strut tower brace is relatively cheap, easy to install, and does make a difference. I'd do both of those for sure! Actually, I already have!

8. Rear End - Here's your weak point. I've heard a lot about rear ends going. They're expensive too, so read up on it. It's easier to do in an M6. I don't go for a lot of hard launches. My car doesn't see the track, so I'll defer on this one.

9. Lights - Stock one's are good for me!

Here's another good thread of frequently asked questions and generally good to know stuff: http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=213148 Check out the info on newbie mistakes too to avoid some pitfalls.

Overall, to get to 400HP you'll need a cold air lid, cam, rockers/valve springs, headers (mid-length/long tubue pref.), 3" catback exhaust. I also highly recommend subframe connectors, strut tower brace, and research the rear end to beef it up. A good free mod is the throttle body coolent bypass. Also, a good M6 upgrade is to replace the shifter. Even the stock hurst needs help from what I hear. Pro 5.0 and BMR Ripper are popular choices. I love my Pro 5.0 and short stick!!

Well for better or worse there's my take. Keep researching and plan it out, there're some mods out there that aren't worth the room they take up.
    Joe K.
    '11 BMW 328i
    '10 Matrix S AWD
    Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

Working...
    X