spark plug and wires

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• spark plug and wires

which brand is good for our car beside NGK , and easy to find at local store ?
    thank you
    2001 Trans Am WS6 M6
    SLP: short throw|short shifter|CAI|MAF|TB ByPass
    Spohn: SFC|Tunnel Brace|LCA|Swaybars|LCA bracket|Shock Tower Brace|Nitto NT555 Extreme Performance|Pacesetter LT|TrueDual|1-chamber Flowmaster|DLA224/224Cam|Comp Cams 918 Springs|ported oil pump|timing chain|PRC LS6 heads|LS7 lifters|Fast Intake 90mm|NW TB 90mm|Thermostat 160|NGK TR 55|RacetronicFP|429/404 hp/tq|tuned by George Haddad motorsports
    http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/690385

NGK is the way to go, but you could also use Autolite. I have Autolite's in my car (96 LT1) only because they didn't have the NGK's I needed for nitrous. I never changed them to NGK because LT1 spark plugs should only be attempted once every lifetime, because there is only so much God can forgive when it comes to cursing
    "No, officer, that bottle is my onboard Halon system"

Comment

Originally posted by MN6WS6
      NGK is the way to go, but you could also use Autolite. I have Autolite's in my car (96 LT1) only because they didn't have the NGK's I needed for nitrous. I never changed them to NGK because LT1 spark plugs should only be attempted once every lifetime, because there is only so much God can forgive when it comes to cursing
      You're tellin' me lol . I still have to dig that wrench out of Craig's wall lol

The way I see it, if you're gonna do it, do it right. You can get the NGK plugs from Summit if a local store doesn't have them, and you'll have them the next day with ground shipping (which is free ). Here's what Summit has for the NGK plugs...

NGK Copper V-power TR55 plug
      NGK G-Power Platinum TR55 plug
      NGK Laser Platinum TR55 plug
      NGK Iridium IX TR55 plug <- I have these

And, while you're at it, it couldn't hurt to replace the plug wires either. Hope this helps.
      Steve
      79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
      87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
      93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
      http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

the first time i did plugs and wires it took 3 people 5 hrs ! now since my blower ( wich is a whole nother story, ive had lots of practice ) ive got plugs down to 3 hrs. i have a friend who asked me if i would do his . . . . i told him i would rather change the motor
        1994 Z28 stage 2 intercooled procharger, P-1sc, 6lb pully,42lbfuel injectors,255intank pump,1 3/4headers,highflow cat, borla ajust. cat back,chrome moly LCA,chrome moly ajust. panhard bar, Kenny Brownweld-in subframe conectors, built trans. kevlar lined 2600 stall, kevlar clutches, hardend parts,,built rearend; moser axles, eaton posi, richmond 3.42 gears, rare ROH ZR6 17* 9.5 wheels, custom computer tune with laptop and LT1edit , 380rwhp 395rwtq , 60' 1.71, 1/8th 8.00,1/412.60@109mph

Comment

Last time I did the plugs, I got all 7 of them out from the top

That # 6 plug was just impossible so I had to yank the y-pipe to get it out.

I hate to think about plug wires. the first time I did those, I looked at it for about 2 hours from under the car and never did figure out how to route the new ones in let alone get the old ones out of there - that space near the power steering pump. I put new ones in during the blower/header install and used 2 sets to get the lengths to route them in a more sane way that would also work with the headers. I am going to make a custom set next time.

Comment

The trick with the wires is to remove the alternator and loosen the power steering pump. In my case, I took all the bolts out of it so I could get it out of the way. You can run new wires in the same spots, it just takes some finesse to get it done. I have Crane Firewires in the bird now (which by the way, will never come out because I'm not doing that crap again) and I used all the factory holders.

I've got to do an AC compressor swap along with a new Optispark and changing to the electric water pump, and I'm seriously considering pulling the cradle out this time. If I do that, I'll repaint the motor, fix the classic LT1 intake leak the right way, and put in new plugs while it's out. Of course that will snowball into 409 stroker motor with twin turbos, direct port nitrous, etc. etc......
            "No, officer, that bottle is my onboard Halon system"

Comment

The trick with the wires is to remove the alternator and loosen the power steering pump. In my case, I took all the bolts out of it so I could get it out of the way. You can run new wires in the same spots, it just takes some finesse to get it done. I have Crane Firewires in the bird now (which by the way, will never come out because I'm not doing that crap again) and I used all the factory holders...
              So, was it easy or wasn't it???

Comment

Are those iridium spark plugs even worth the money, by the time you get all 8 of them its over 50$.
                96 Camaro Z28, T-tops, 6 Speed, Slp CIA, Flowmaster cat-back, 3:42 gears

Comment

The trick with the wires is to remove the alternator and loosen the power steering pump. In my case, I took all the bolts out of it so I could get it out of the way. You can run new wires in the same spots, it just takes some finesse to get it done.
                  Yup, same thing with mine.

Comment

do you have headers ?
                    1994 Z28 stage 2 intercooled procharger, P-1sc, 6lb pully,42lbfuel injectors,255intank pump,1 3/4headers,highflow cat, borla ajust. cat back,chrome moly LCA,chrome moly ajust. panhard bar, Kenny Brownweld-in subframe conectors, built trans. kevlar lined 2600 stall, kevlar clutches, hardend parts,,built rearend; moser axles, eaton posi, richmond 3.42 gears, rare ROH ZR6 17* 9.5 wheels, custom computer tune with laptop and LT1edit , 380rwhp 395rwtq , 60' 1.71, 1/8th 8.00,1/412.60@109mph

Comment

its in now
                      2001 Trans Am WS6 M6
                      SLP: short throw|short shifter|CAI|MAF|TB ByPass
                      Spohn: SFC|Tunnel Brace|LCA|Swaybars|LCA bracket|Shock Tower Brace|Nitto NT555 Extreme Performance|Pacesetter LT|TrueDual|1-chamber Flowmaster|DLA224/224Cam|Comp Cams 918 Springs|ported oil pump|timing chain|PRC LS6 heads|LS7 lifters|Fast Intake 90mm|NW TB 90mm|Thermostat 160|NGK TR 55|RacetronicFP|429/404 hp/tq|tuned by George Haddad motorsports
                      http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/690385

Comment

Working...
                      X