leaking rear end

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• leaking rear end

Got into my rear brakes today and i'd like to say drums sure do suck. but anyway on the driver's side there seems to be a what smells like gear loob leaking out of where the ( i'm guessing) axel goes into the rear end. its not the piston (they need replacing but still not leaking). what would it invalve to replace the seal, and bearing wile im in there?

rear end overhaul....... if you go in there, do the whole thing. how many miles on the beast? heck, do gears while you are there,.......

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
    Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
    sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Get that seal done ASAP. You can do the yoke seal externally (without pulling the rear end apart). F-body LT1's and LS1's have too much horsepower for the rear end GM put on there - they go out all the time. It usually starts with the yoke seal (the front seal) going out, allowing the gear lube level to drop just enough to starve the front bearing of lubrication. This causes the front bearing to disintegrate, sending metal shavings into the rest of the rear end assembly and, in no time at all, the rest of the bearings in the rear end go out too.

Get er done.
      Darrin C
      '97 Z28 LT1 157K (((S O L D ))) A4, C/I Cold Air Induction, Flomaster Exhaust, SLP Fan Control Mod, Eibach Springs w/1" Drop, Racing Dynamics Shock Tower Brace, Lakewood LCA's.
      07 Ford F150 - Daily Driver. I went from f-body to f-series. I think I'm out of my f'in mind.....

Comment

well the car is a 89 2.8 ltr w/150k so i dont think to much power is what caused the prob. wish it was though. but i am going to dump a 350 bored 40 over into it in the next 6 months so what kinda gears should i put in it. would a posi locker be smart? never done much to a RE so advice is well appreciated.

thanks

Richard

Comment

u prob have 342s or 3.23s in there. i would just replace the seals, and check the axels for wear(they are inner surface of the bearings.) just save and get either a 12 bolt or a 9bolt(if u dont wanna spend a g)
          2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Working...
          X