Cold Air Induction

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cold Air Induction

I am considering cold air induction. Does anyone have opinions on K&N, SLP, or any others? I see K&N kits on Ebay for a pretty good deal every once in a while. Also, are we really talking about under an hour for installation? And lastly, since the intake is so low, driving through standing water is a no brainer, but do I need to worry about driving in hard rain also?
    Any comments appreciated. Thanks.
    1996 Z28 Convertible, 6 Speed
    Factory Chrome Wheels, CAGS Disable,
    Big Block Hood, Spintech Split case Muffler
    w/ 4" Pipe

I think you will find that most of the cold air intake (CAI) units offer about the same improvement - K&N, Moroso (or twin from Callaway), SLP, GM Performance Parts, etc.. The one exception I have seen is the LG Motorsports unit, that keeps the stock air box/filter. That one does not enjoy a good reputation.

I ran the Callaway Honker, with the K&N conical filter in the front fender, above the louvered plastic baffle at the bottom of the bumper/fender. I never had a problem with water. I would be a little hesitant to go through a 1-foot deep flow, but if you do that you will destroy the distributor anyway... .

Some people even remove the louvered plastic baffle.... or add a cutout hole with a "scoop" under the car, but that seems like overkill to me.

Install time depends... I think 1-hour is a little low, because if you are like most of us, you will be extremely careful and meticulous about what you do and how you do it. There are some stock parts to remove, typically a filler panel to add where the filter mounts, you have to juggle a lot of plastic parts and the air dam to get the louvered plastic baffle off, the filter can be a bear to put on the mount, etc.... I'd allow 2 hours.

It is one of the few mod's that really made a difference. A CAI and a catback exhaust seem to add up to maybe 30HP, and a 3/10ths improvement in ET.
    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Working...
    X