What to do with $1500 to a LT1?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to do with $1500 to a LT1?

Hello F-Body forum. I'm new here and I have 1993 LT1 Pontiac Trans Am. I bought it about 4 months ago it is a 6-speed with 121k miles. It has a Flowmaster Exhaust and K&N Air Intake. I've since added a TB Bypass and a Underdrive Pulley. I'm wondering for about $1500 whats the best mod(s) I can do to add some more horsepower? All I've been thinking so far is new gears and maybe headers, what do you guys think? Thanks!

Here is pics BTW.

$1,500 screams nitrous to me, but that's because I have it and I know how much it adds. You will probably be leary of that due to the miles, but as long as the engine runs correctly, a 125 shot won't hurt it. Gears doesn't add power, it just adds the "seat of the pants" feeling. However, I and several other people will tell you to not waste any money on that 10 bolt in your car, especially since you have a 6 speed (auto cars with 10 bolts tend to last longer due to less drivetrain shock in shifts). Headers are nice to have, and necessary if you plan on going big with your motor in the future, but at $600 just for long tubes not including the y-pipe, you are talking about a hefty chunk of change for maybe 20-30 HP. So, in summary, I'd do a nitrous kit, and probably use the rest of the money to buy a Spec Stage II clutch because it probably still has the factory one in it, and they don't like a lot of nitrous.

BTW, my car is a 96 6-speed with a 10 bolt, stock gears, stock manifolds, and nitrous, and it runs 12.36 in the 1/4 and put 370 to the wheels with the stock clutch and stock catback with a Flowdisaster muffler.
    "No, officer, that bottle is my onboard Halon system"

Comment

Tune that car up, make it like new. All new fluids, filters, plugs, wires, etc... First things first.

Do your suspension first. LCA's, torque arm, panhard bar, etc...

Then headers are nice, and if you wanna get serious pull the heads, port them and put new springs, etc... on there. Maybe a cam swap too? If you port the heads yourself, 1500 can get you all your suspension, parts for your heads, and money to have a shop do the valve area, then port the ports yourself. 1500 could do it easily. Could probably find a nice set of used headers too.
      97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

that car looks killer btw. Probably the nicest 93 bird I've ever seen.
        97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

Thanks guys, what do you think of these headers.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BORLA...QQcmdZViewItem

Comment

Welcome to the board . I was lookin' at a 93 black TA when I got the Z...still kinda kickin' myself (sorry, I love the wing ).

Well, as for the mods with $1500, I'd start with a better cat-back, better intake elbow, throttle body air foil, better injectors, better tune, better driveshaft, tune-up, LCAs with brackets, poly tranny and torque arm mounts, LCAs w/ reloc. brackets, panhard rod and go from there. Just for a quick write-up for ya...

Part ------------------------- Part # ------------- Price

From LMPerformance.com

SLP 1LE Intake Elbow ------ 25147 ------------- $56.95 (sale price)
            SLP TB Air Foil ------------- 22100 -------------- $33.20 (sale price)
            SLP LoudMouth ------------- 31042 ------------- $377.96 (sale price)
            SLP LM Install Kit ---------- 30045 -------------- $74.95
            Spohn Non-adj. CM LCAs -- SPOHN-201-4103 - $155.00
            Spohn LCA Reloc. Brac. --- SPOHN-210 -------- $65.00
            Spohn Non-Adj. CM Pnhrd - SPOHN-101 ------- $125.00
            Energy Sus. T/A mount --- ENS-3-1111 ------- $11.95
            Energy Sus. Trans. mount - 31108 ------------- $20.00

From GMPartsDirect.com

1LE Alum. Driveshaft ------ 10085375 --------- $224.78

From Racetronix.com

LS1/LS6 28lb./hr. Inj. ------ 12561462 --------- $200.00 ($25./inj., set of 8 flow-matched)

From PCMForLess.com

Custom Tune ------------------------------------- $125.00

Total before shipping: $1469.79

Hope this helps. These won't give you tremendous gains like N2O would, but you'll get some more punch, better mileage with those injectors and tune and you'll be happy with the sound out of the Loudmouth. Take care
            Steve
            79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
            87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
            93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
            http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

I think Steve outlined some pretty good ideas. I think it is a good idea also to implement a balance of chassis/suspension mods as well as power adding modifications when first spending money on their f-bod. Most guys go with gears and headers and a few suspension/chassis mods for their fist round of mods. Maybe a CAI (cold air intake) as well. Start by adding power the real way and stay away from nitrous in my opinion. Especially with your mileage.

BTW, that car looks super clean for a 1993! Nice ride.

Comment

zanio zanio
                2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Originally posted by raroZ28
                  Tune that car up, make it like new. All new fluids, filters, plugs, wires, etc... First things first.

agreed. especially plugs and wires...and that infamous opti.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
                  Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
                  B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
                  Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
                  Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

Something that has been overlooked...... even a bone stock T/A doesn't have enough tire to get the power to the ground. Personally, I would upgrade to 17" wheels with at least 275/40/17 on all four corners. Then rear lower control arms, relocation brackets and perhaps an adjustable torque arm. This way you eliminate much of the flex from the barely adequate stock suspension. The car will run quicker as the existing power is getting to the ground. Then whatever mods you do after that point can do their job. Failure to do that will likely result in the car not going any quicker due to excessive tire spin, not to mention the tendency for the car to want to swap ends when you hit the throttle.

Comment

Follow raroZ28's advice on suspension. You don't need to go all out since your running a stock car north-to-south, east-to-west, but you can afford to throw some of that cash on the suspension. Alot of folks go straight to a CAI first thing first, and the only real problem with that is trying to make your mind up on which one to use with so many names to choose from. Then the gears could be taken into consideration but it would still be too early to change without adding any real power to the stocker. Headers can get expensive, and like the CAI, can take a while to decide on. Just remember to stick to your budget (or not ), compare names, and do your research. ***BTW*** The Car Looks Great...........but they can always look better (ZAINO)!

1992 RS 25TH Anniversary (with Heritage package) A4 305 TBI (L03), Mobile 1 Synthetic, Flowmaster 80 Series Cat-Back, 17"x 8" Cragar style rims(painted grey)/Hankook Ventus 245/45Z17....350 Coming One Day......

Comment

what to do with $1500?

Me personally I would switch the optispark to the new Deltech iggy system.

I've already been through two opti's.

Comment

Or you could send the money to me. I have a LT1 an I could do the mods an tell witch ones work the best. That way you will not mess up your car. Just trying to help a new member. Blazer

Comment

Working...
                          X