Increasing Horsepower

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Increasing Horsepower

I am looking for a way to improve the accelleration in my firebird (83, black, 2.8L V6 w/ 110 hp ) Could someone please tell me what I could do, short of swapping out engines. Any help would be appreciated.
    1983 Firebird with all original parts (with a fresh coat of paint on top)

Better breathing is as far as I would go - K&N airfilter and maybe a cat-back exhaust. Anything else is a waste of money, IMHO. Best advice I could give is just to save as much money as you can until you can get into a faster car to begin with.
    Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

Comment

2 words...Nitrous Oxide
      No F-Body right now

Comment

Originally posted by Jay 02 TA ws6
        Better breathing is as far as I would go - K&N airfilter and maybe a cat-back exhaust. Anything else is a waste of money, IMHO. Best advice I could give is just to save as much money as you can until you can get into a faster car to begin with.
        Agreed.... what you have is a nice cruiser, but the engine isn't big enough for modifications to make a big difference. I personally wouldn't do more than a cold air intake and exhaust. If you insist on doing it anyway, maybe deeper gears...... but even that is a maybe.

Comment

be really carefull with what you do to the 2.8 from the early 80's as they have a fault in the main bearings that was rectified in 86. The bearing is narower than the crank area. They tend to eat main bearings very quickly when pushed hard. To rectify the problem have the botom end rebuilt with full width bearings and its no longer a problem.

Eric W.

89 Firebird Formula WS6
          Accel/Lingenfelter Super Ram
          6.2L/382.97 ci
          Custom PROM Dyno tuned
          WCT-5 speed
          BW 9-bolt Posi 3.45
          Boss MS 18" Rims
          Headman Headers 1 5/8 Ceramic Coated
          Custom Dual exhaust
          1LE upgrade
          Custom Temperature / Navigation Rear View Mirror
          In a constant state of upgrade!

Comment

In the first place, I'm not looking to get a massive amount of hp out of the engine. I just want to get it to get somewhere in the upper 100's or close to 200. Anything more I couldn't control Anyway I was just hoping that I could get a little more accelleration. NOS was not what I had in mind, because the connecting rods, piston heads, etc. would snap in two. I have been looking for a higher performance camshaft but no one seems to make them for a 83 v6. Any thoughts? Thanks for the advice.
            1983 Firebird with all original parts (with a fresh coat of paint on top)

Comment

Originally posted by BlackBird83
              In the first place, I'm not looking to get a massive amount of hp out of the engine. I just want to get it to get somewhere in the upper 100's or close to 200. Anything more I couldn't control Anyway I was just hoping that I could get a little more accelleration. NOS was not what I had in mind, because the connecting rods, piston heads, etc. would snap in two. I have been looking for a higher performance camshaft but no one seems to make them for a 83 v6. Any thoughts? Thanks for the advice.
              200 horsepower may not be "a lot" ... but it's almost doubling the stock output. That's asking a lot. You would spend a lot of money doing this - A LOT... so much so that at that point, it is SO much more cost effective to find a used LT1 or LS1 f-body.
              Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

Comment

Originally posted by BlackBird83
                I have been looking for a higher performance camshaft but no one seems to make them for a 83 v6. Any thoughts? Thanks for the advice.
                Edelbrock, Crane, Melling and Competition cams all make cams for 2.8's. do a search on Summit's website.

Pacesetter also makes Emissions legal headers for our engines.

Read through some of the posts on the V6 forum on thirdgen.org, lots of good info there. http://www.thirdgen.org/techbb2/foru...?s=&forumid=22

'87 Camaro - 2.8L MPFI, 700R4 swapped to T5, B&M Ripper Shifter, Dynomax Super Turbo muffler, CATCO high flow cat, K&N air filters, 180 degree thermostat w/200-180 fan switch, 3.42 rear end, Global West steering brace, polyurethane bushings/trans mount, Spohn adjustable torque arm.
                '88 Formula (stolen), '96 Camaro RS, (sold), '91 Firebird (sold),
                Bruce, μολων λαβέ

Comment

Working...
                X