Fix those headlight motors

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fix those headlight motors

Hey if anyone has a problem with their headlight motors that may be bad and you had to resort to manually raising them. Here is the problem I had they went up and down but when I closed them the motor kept running with a awful noise. I removed the motor and opened the case that the gear is in. Then I rotated the gear 180 degrees and reassembled after putting in new grease. They now work as good as new. Of course this only works with the motor driven headlights not the vacuum ones. Hope thsi info helps anyone with the problem that I had. A replacement motor is way too expensive so this is the cheap way. Use this infor at your own risk.....

You can also buy new brass gears for the 4th Gens from Brent Franker.

http://www.bfranker.badz28.com/headlightfix/index.htm

You will find the "rotate the gears 180-deg" writeups on Brent's website, and on the Project TransAM "how to" database.
    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

headlight fix

Injuneer, thanks for the 411 on brent franker!. It's excatly what I needed.

Comment

I didn't have much luck with the brass gear replacment. The problem is getting the epoxy to stick well enough to keep the housing from opening up again. The best I could do was make it last 6 months. Other attempts were even less. I even tried epoxy that was meant for sticking to plastic. I believe the housing was originally ultrasonically welded together when assembled at the factory.

Warren
        96 T/A,WS6,M6
        79 T/A,WS6,A3,403
        72 442,W30,A3
        06 Vette,Z51,M6

Comment

Well, the epoxy stuff did not work for my motor neither...I had to use the "new" Locktite Super Bonder....no problems yet

Dochidalgo
          97 A4 Pontiac Firebird Trans am with $everal mod$

Comment

I have a brass gear in my drivers side door as well. The epoxy that came with mine held it together for about 9 months then it came apart. I was told to use JB Weld Epoxy from someone on here, and I havn't had a problem yet. I originally did the 180 thing myself, but it was only a temporary fix for about 6 months.
            94 Formula LT1 (Aqua Metallic) - Auto. - 104,000 miles - Charcoal Leather Mods: Magnaflow Muffler, Lingenfelter CAI, MadZ28 Tune, 160F Hyp. T-Stat., 1LE Elbow, & Summit Cutout. Options: 155 MPH Gauge Cluster, & 255-50ZR-16 Tires.

Comment

Try lighning bond glue. I had problems with the epoxy also. I used the lightning glue on the fuel pump basket also with no problems.
              1995 Firebird Formula
              (A4 3.23)Ram Air w/ K&N, TransGo Shift Kit w/3 washers ,SLP~Shorty headers, LoudMouth, Air Foil, LineLocks. Catco Cat. Hypertech 160. TB Bypass. MSD~8.5mm. Walbro 255lph. FT MAF ends. LT4KM. BMR~Adj LCA's, Rear sway, Panhard rod. HAL QA1 rear shocks. Random Tech adj TQ arm. Nitto NT555R's. Covered in Zaino. 13.466@103.85 N/A. [1.948 60' 13.410 @ 102.66 11/20/05]

Comment

Working...
              X