Which gears do I have?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which gears do I have?

My brother ordered me some 3.42 gears for my car. I have a '95 TA with 2.73s and an A4. According to Richmond, they make 3.42s that fit 2 series and 3 series carriers, but I don't know if I have the right ones because the original box didn't come with the gears. Does anybody know of a way to tell this by looking at them?
    '95 Pontiac TA Arctic White T- tops
    18x9" SSR Integral wheels, 275/35/18 Pirellis, G2 Coil-Over kit with re-valved Bilsteins (1.5" drop front / 1.25" drop rear), Raptor 4L60E w/2800 stall, K&N FIPK, Trick Flow intake elbow, TB!, air foil, MSD plug wires, Power Programmer, Borla catback

If your car currently has a 2.73:1 ratio and you aren't buying a new carrier, you need to buy a "thick" gear set. If you tell the seller you have a 2 series carrier, they will know what to send you. If you are buying a 3 series carrier, you will need the thin gear. Again, the supplier should know what you need.

Oops. I didn't read your post carefully.

Visually, the ring gear in your application will be thicker. Just call richmond and ask them. They can tell by the numbers stamped on the gears. Richmods are known to howl a bit so get ready to hear a little bit of noise.
    LS15 Power! Another LSx engine coming soon.

Comment

Working...
    X