brake life

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brake life

I just replaced the brakes, front and rear, (Pads only, rotors were turned) after 93,675 miles. Is this normal, or do I just never use my brakes? In addition, clutch has been checked and is fine, so can't just be engine braking from downshifting that gave me long brake life. Any thots or comments?
    2000 Z-28 Convertible, neutral leather interior and neutral top, hotchkis STB, SLP Bowtie Grill, WhisperLid, K&N, cold air induction

clutch is no shock, they should last the life of the car. the one in my acclaim has 145K on it and still going strong. as for brakes. they coulda been replaced at some point in time
    2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Depends on what type of brake pad is used and driving style. If you use the brakes hard often and have an inexpensive pad, they can only last 10k-20k miles. If you have a quality pad and don't use the brakes hard very often, they can last 40k-50k miles sometimes more.

The previous owner most likely had the brakes changed before you bought the car.

Comment

Originally posted by 88bird5spd
        clutch is no shock, they should last the life of the car. the one in my acclaim has 145K on it and still going strong. as for brakes. they coulda been replaced at some point in time
        The clutch usually doesn't last the life of the vehicle on many vehicles. There are many variables to it such as how you drive your car and where you drive it such as stop and go will use a lot more than highway driving. At 111k when I replaced my engine I put in a new clutch and my old one didn't have more than .01in left on it before it was going to be at the rivets. Looking at your sig it doesn't look like yours lasted the life of it .
        1994 Firebird Formula, M6, Fan switch, 160 thermostat, Pacesetter LT headers, Morosso CAI, TB bypass, True duals.

Comment

Working...
        X