spintech vs. flowmaster

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• spintech vs. flowmaster

I am going to be ordering my 4" mufflex today and I have to decide wich muffler to get. Anyone have any experience with a spintech? I have never heard of them until recently. Which would be the best for streat use? I want it to rumble but not be crazy loud. I have a 406 cu/in small block long tubes no cats.
    1994 Z28 Camaro-Project carbed 4th gen
    1995 Silverado-beater truck
    2005 Colorado Z71-Daily driver

The Flowmaster is very loud, and has a pronounced drone/resonance at about 2,000-2,500RPM. The SpinTech is much quieter, and does not have the drone/resonance.

Maybe Joe1320 will comment, since he's running my old 4" Mufflex with the Flow'
    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

I'm running SLP shorties and Random Tech high flow Y pipe (dual bullet cats). As Fred mentioned, there is a spike resonance in the 2000-2500 rpm range. As long as you don't cruise in that RPM range, you'll be fine. The rest of it sounds nice. I can't really tell you what it will sound like without cats. My bullet cats don't really dampen the sound that much. There wasn't much difference in sound between open downpipes and an open Y pipe behind the cats. The sound of this setup is awesome at WOT. People will hear it, there is no doubt. At part throttle, the sound is still pretty good, not as loud as one might think.

I haven't heard the spintech on an LT-1 so I can't comment on that. I have heard one on an LS1 and didn't really care for it, but that's really a matter of opinion. I've heard several complaints about the spintech. Again, I cannot give personal experience on that brand.

Comment

Well I think im going to go with the flowmaster. Is ordering direct the best price, they want $275 for the Y and $606 for the single 4. Anywhere else have it cheaper?
        1994 Z28 Camaro-Project carbed 4th gen
        1995 Silverado-beater truck
        2005 Colorado Z71-Daily driver

Comment

I ran a single in/single out Spintech catback on my 97 WS6 when it had the stock motor in it. I loved the way it sounded. I got asked all the time by f-body guys what kind of catback I had because they liked the sound so much.

The welds were good, the mandrel bends were as good as they get, and the fit was perfect.

Overall a great sounding catback that will make more power than most of the traditional catbacks.

Comment

Originally posted by fastTA
            I ran a single in/single out Spintech catback on my 97 WS6 when it had the stock motor in it. I loved the way it sounded. I got asked all the time by f-body guys what kind of catback I had because they liked the sound so much.
            That's good to know. Perhaps if I ever tire of the spike in resonance, I might try it.

Comment

I have a Spintech on my 414 stroker motored formula. It also has long tubes and 4" mufflex. It sounds absolutely awesome.
              LS15 Power! Another LSx engine coming soon.

Comment

Working...
              X