What to do with $1500 to a LS1?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to do with $1500 to a LS1?

i took this title from cacophony which original is What to do with $1500 to a LT1?
    well B-day coming up my step dad said he gonna help me out modding the car. so help me out to get a clue $1500 into LS1
    thank you all
    2001 Trans Am WS6 M6
    SLP: short throw|short shifter|CAI|MAF|TB ByPass
    Spohn: SFC|Tunnel Brace|LCA|Swaybars|LCA bracket|Shock Tower Brace|Nitto NT555 Extreme Performance|Pacesetter LT|TrueDual|1-chamber Flowmaster|DLA224/224Cam|Comp Cams 918 Springs|ported oil pump|timing chain|PRC LS6 heads|LS7 lifters|Fast Intake 90mm|NW TB 90mm|Thermostat 160|NGK TR 55|RacetronicFP|429/404 hp/tq|tuned by George Haddad motorsports
    http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/690385

Get a cam - check out some of Texas Speeds packages. Get all of the supporting stuff - pushrods, springs, and an underdrive pulley while you are at it. If you are not comforable installing it your self you could get the parts + install for $1500. If you do it yourself (I did - not that bad) you will have $$ left over! Best mod I have done by far!
    Silver 02 WS-6, 6 speed, Corsa cat-back, SLP lid, K&N filter, BMR STB, !CAGs, Lou's short stick, MSD wires, MTI "Hammer" cam, ASP underdrive pulley, Hooker LTs, Hooker ORY, Comp 918s, TR pushrods, UMI Sfcs, UMI LCAs, NGK TR55s, Hotchkis springs

Dyno'd 4/24: 330.9 RWHP/ 344.8 RWTQ (Before cam, headers, and pulley)

Dyno'd 5/1: 383.5 RWHP / 380.5 RWTQ (393 actual RWHP)

Comment

Another vote for a cam swap. Stock LS1 heads are begging for a bigger bump stick. Don't forget the oil pump while you're there. Most of the popular f-body sponsors have good deals on cam swap packages.

Comment

On a 01 you should not need the oil pump - 01 and 02s had the LS6 oil pump. Now if you have a lot of miles you might want to consider it. If it is a relatively low mileage car leave the oil pump alone - it is a pain in the butt to replace.
        Silver 02 WS-6, 6 speed, Corsa cat-back, SLP lid, K&N filter, BMR STB, !CAGs, Lou's short stick, MSD wires, MTI "Hammer" cam, ASP underdrive pulley, Hooker LTs, Hooker ORY, Comp 918s, TR pushrods, UMI Sfcs, UMI LCAs, NGK TR55s, Hotchkis springs

Comment

Even though GM supposedly fixed the oil pump "problem" in 2001, it is still a very good idea while your there. Plenty of 01-02 guys have had failed oil pumps after cam swaps. At least do a ported and blueprinted LS6.

The only real PITA is getting the crank pulley off. Other wise it's an easy swap. Make sure you get yourself a couple of pickup o-rings. You will likely mess the first one up. Make sure the o-ring is 100% seated or you will not get proper pressure. It's not bad at all though.

Comment

Originally posted by casey02ws6
            Get a cam - check out some of Texas Speeds packages. Get all of the supporting stuff - pushrods, springs, and an underdrive pulley while you are at it. If you are not comforable installing it your self you could get the parts + install for $1500. If you do it yourself (I did - not that bad) you will have $$ left over! Best mod I have done by far!
            i hear rocker is hard to put them back together is that true ?
            and 80,000 miles on clock
            2001 Trans Am WS6 M6
            SLP: short throw|short shifter|CAI|MAF|TB ByPass
            Spohn: SFC|Tunnel Brace|LCA|Swaybars|LCA bracket|Shock Tower Brace|Nitto NT555 Extreme Performance|Pacesetter LT|TrueDual|1-chamber Flowmaster|DLA224/224Cam|Comp Cams 918 Springs|ported oil pump|timing chain|PRC LS6 heads|LS7 lifters|Fast Intake 90mm|NW TB 90mm|Thermostat 160|NGK TR 55|RacetronicFP|429/404 hp/tq|tuned by George Haddad motorsports
            http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/690385

Comment

The hardest part is swapping the valve springs. They make a tool to make changing the valve springs easier but it is still a PITA. Removing the crank bolt is not complicated but takes a lot of brute force. Also, with 80K on the clock go ahead and replace the oil pump!

Comment

Working...
              X