Tire question regarding cosmetics

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tire question regarding cosmetics

I've wondered this for quite some time. I have so many vehicles with all different brands of tires. Why is it some tires seem to stay relatively clean while some of them get road brown very quickly? Some of them even seem to brown with very little diving if any driving at all. For example, I put considerable mileage on my Goodyear GSD3s and it takes hundreds of miles before the sidewall turns brown, yet my Firestone SZ50s seem to turn brown with hardly any use. What are the manufacturers doing with their formulas that either cause this or deter the browning effect?

really? brown? I've gone through some tires in my time, but ever turned brown except from brake-dust.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
    Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
    B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
    Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
    Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

Originally posted by LimTeng99TransAm
      really? brown? I've gone through some tires in my time, but ever turned brown except from brake-dust.
      just to clarify, it is a film buildup.... the rubber itself doesn't turn brown. The stuff will clean off with cleaner/scrubbing.

Comment

Huh. I've got the SZ50ep's on mine and havent noticed any problems.

Are you sure it is the tire itself and not the brand of cleaner you use on it? Some of the "wet" tire treatments could attract dirt faster than others.
        Tracy
        2002 C5 M6 Convertible
        1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
        Current Mods:
        SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Originally posted by TraceZ
          Huh. I've got the SZ50ep's on mine and havent noticed any problems.

Are you sure it is the tire itself and not the brand of cleaner you use on it? Some of the "wet" tire treatments could attract dirt faster than others.
          I rarely use them, I prefer the natural look. Clean and natural. I thought about that so I did a comparison au natural for several weeks. It definately seems to be tire brand related.

Comment

I see it on my company truck a lot, but we have a discount arrangement with a local car wash, and the boss insists that we get the tires ArmorAll'd every time (I suspect theyuse something other than ArmorAll). Seems like driving in dusty conditions lets the dust adhere to the tire dressing. The trucks that get driven off the pavement the most seem to build it up faster. But if you don't use the tire dressing that can't explain it. I've seen the brown layer on other vehicles too.

The big enemy of rubber is ozone. That causes it to deteriorate.... maybe it will cause a brown oxidation layer on the surface of the tire. Ken would probably know better, but I suspect that it takes some sort of special feature in the formulation of the rubber compound to resist ozone attack..... some manufacturers might have better ozone resistance in their compounds.
            Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Working...
            X