Tranny Mount

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tranny Mount

Guys, this is the second time in five months that my tranny mount goes out on me, i only drive my car, max 200 miles every weekend. well this weekend i took my car for a spin and i noticed a clunk sound right from under me it was the same sound of when it went out the first time. i dont put the car in a lot of pressure when i drive or anythig. what would cause this problem? i have an oil leak,if that oil gets to the mount will that somehow lmake the mount weak?
    Miss My Bird

Oil will soften the mount. You can get a heavy duty mount at the local parts store. I just replace mine. Every couple times out to the track - its 8 bucks. I would rather replace that than my rear end or other. The weakest link breaks first!
    96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
    11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

If you had gottent he late model style mounts with the positive stops that would never happen. The stops will limit the full travel of the mount and prevent seperation of the bushing. The stops are L-shaped brackets that interlock at full travel preventing the bushing from seperating. I have an auto-tranny and have had the do some minor mods for the mount to work on my '95 Formula but the mount has worked for 4 years or so since I've had it without breaking.
      '95 Formula A4, 17"x9" wheels, F1 275/40-ZR17, TB bypass, 160 deg. TS, LS1 drive shaft, WS6 muffler, LCA, tie rod Soon to be LT4 heads intake and HOT cam.

Comment

Steve, Do you have a part number for that mount? I bought one that was listed as the Caprice Classic police package mount that looks like it interlocks. I haven't had any problems with it. It has been in for about a year I guess.
        2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

I have the 1LE mount, how does this one differ? I haven't had any problems with mine over the last 3 years, but it would be nice to know if/when mine breaks. Any part numbers?

Comment

I'll look at my paper work tonoght but I was supposed to be a tranny mount for a 4-speed auto LS1.
            '95 Formula A4, 17"x9" wheels, F1 275/40-ZR17, TB bypass, 160 deg. TS, LS1 drive shaft, WS6 muffler, LCA, tie rod Soon to be LT4 heads intake and HOT cam.

Comment

hey guys thanks. Steve can you get the part # please,and where i can find it at? thanks again guys!!
              Miss My Bird

Comment

Why not get a full polyurethane mount? Their pretty cheap and will never "break". I've had mine for about 6 yrs, still running strong and I DO run my car hard.

KnightFire
                1993 Formula Firebird
                Check Homepage for mods and photos...

KnightFire's Lair

Amsoil Dealer

Comment

I had a urathane mount and hated it from the first time I drove it. It might as well have been a solid steel mount. It made everything vibrate from the dash to my behind. LOL It made it a lot louder too. If I had a very loud exhaust and a 500 watt stereo it might not be that bad. But I can't imagine listening to Neal Boortz with the radio turned wide open.

KnightFire is right about it not breaking. Drive the car off a cliff and the rear of the trans will still be connected to the cross member.
                  2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

I can't imagine the urethane mount. I've heard horror stories of basically street driven cars where the urethane mount transmitted way too much vibration through the chassis. I noticed an increase in noise from my 1LE..... the poly must be a bear. Then again, if you're running headers with no cats and a loudmouth, doubtful the mount will make a differance.

Comment

the car is all stock , guys
                      Miss My Bird

Comment

Working...
                      X