X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Supercharger increase.

Dear friends:

I want to ask your opinion:

I have a 1997 z28 which was modified by the previous owner to run at the Pony express race in Nevada for the unlimited class. This car has a 383 with modified Gen I Victor jr. heads, a 246/254 deg. @ 0.050" hyd-roller and a Vortech V-1T s/c. my intention is to use this car for track days and presently this gets only 7psi gauge boost (10psi sea level) running on premium without problem. I would like to change the impeller and scroll from a V7-YS s/c to increase theoretical airflow from 1200 CFM to 1500 CFM to increase boost around 3psi. The limitation is that i can not get race fuel in the area; only premium grade. Still the area´s altitude above sea level is 7,300 feet. No intercooler present at this time. Compression ratio is 8.42:1, I have the original Dyno sheet for 488 rwhp @ 6400 rpm in Torrance, CA. The engine is under overhaul at the moment.

Do you think this is possible?

Who to contact for the V7-Ys parts?

I would be very pleased to read your experiences.
    1997 z28 ex Pony Express racer ( amateur rally and track day car now ) w/ 383 LT1, V1-T s/c, Victor Jr. heads, Engle custom cam, Accel DFI, Alcon 14" / Baer 13" brakes, Strange rr. axle. Full roll cage, seats and belts.

´71 Camaro L-48 ex-vintage track day racer clone, ´71 AMC Javelin, ´69 Plymouth Barracuda 340 clone, ´70 Barracuda project car, ´69 Shelby Mustang GT350 project car, ´94 Mustang GT s/c track day car.

Self portrait: Nowadays more a collector than a racer . Still crazy for those Trans-Am races.

I would contact Vortech Engineering or the people at Carroll Supercharging Blowerworks to see what they have to say. Vortech will probably ask you to send the head unit to them for the conversion (then charge you a bundle), if it is even possible, not sure if they will sell individual head unit parts. Let us know what happens with it.

Comment

Kevin:

In the past I contacted the Vortech people and about a year or so ago, they said the V7-YS is no longer in production, It's been replaced by a heavy duty version named V7-YSI. They can no longer update the old V1-T to this new version.
      So the only plan was to exchange for a new V7-YSI head unit on an exchange basis. If in this case, I would consider maybe, going to turbocharging instead.
      My hope is to find a shop or somebody who has a damaged V7-YS from which to take the required parts, or maybe spares. These are, as I understand, the impeller and scroll, which have a larger suction diameter but about the same impeller discharge area, from what I find in the Vortech technical drawings at their catalog. The case and gear are common components.
      I understand this design characteristic improves airflow at lower rpm, and efficiencies, from the wider compression map. My wish is to increase about 3 more psi boost.
      I think this wouldn't be so much trouble because my engine machinist has good facilities, including balancing equipment available, they say they have done this before.
      In past Vortech catalogs they mention the parts are interchangeable and on those times they would do it at their shop.
      Today I called Carroll Blowerworks and they said about the same as Vortech.

Many thanks for your help.

Lordvader.
      1997 z28 ex Pony Express racer ( amateur rally and track day car now ) w/ 383 LT1, V1-T s/c, Victor Jr. heads, Engle custom cam, Accel DFI, Alcon 14" / Baer 13" brakes, Strange rr. axle. Full roll cage, seats and belts.

´71 Camaro L-48 ex-vintage track day racer clone, ´71 AMC Javelin, ´69 Plymouth Barracuda 340 clone, ´70 Barracuda project car, ´69 Shelby Mustang GT350 project car, ´94 Mustang GT s/c track day car.

Self portrait: Nowadays more a collector than a racer . Still crazy for those Trans-Am races.

Comment

Working...
      X