Whistle?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whistle?

I did a search, couldn't find anything already posted on the forum. Is it normal to hear a whistle as i accelerate? If you guys saw the italian job, when the red mini cooper is driving, it has that whistle... think of that but a lot less noticeable but its there. What do you think mine is, since my car isn't supercharged like the red cooper in the movie?

its obviously a leak somewhere, but where would make a whistle like that, it sounds like something is spooling up

It could be the Alternator. My 89 makes the same sound and Its either the air pump power stearing pump or the alt.

Eric W.

89 Firebird Formula WS6
    Accel/Lingenfelter Super Ram
    6.2L/382.97 ci
    Custom PROM Dyno tuned
    WCT-5 speed
    BW 9-bolt Posi 3.45
    Boss MS 18" Rims
    Headman Headers 1 5/8 Ceramic Coated
    Custom Dual exhaust
    1LE upgrade
    Custom Temperature / Navigation Rear View Mirror
    In a constant state of upgrade!

Comment

Maybe some slight defect in the air intake plumbing???

I used to have a Turbo Sundance that would "Hoot" when the wastegate opened. It was the oddest thing to hear...
      Joe K.
      '11 BMW 328i
      '10 Matrix S AWD
      Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

Take the belt off and go for a drive. That would narrow it down for you.
        Tracy
        2002 C5 M6 Convertible
        1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
        Current Mods:
        SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

now thinking about it, im going to check out my intake elbow, it seems to be a little torn on the bottom where it connects with the TB. Dont know if thats the cause but im going to look into it tomorrow morning

Comment

Any chance you have a BBK aftermarket throttle body? They are known to "whistle" due to casting flash in the IAC passage.
            Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Originally posted by Injuneer
              Any chance you have a BBK aftermarket throttle body? They are known to "whistle" due to casting flash in the IAC passage.
              nope, as far as i know its a stock TB, bought the car used, ill also check that

Comment

Working...
              X