Arcing at the coil wire

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arcing at the coil wire

Tonight while going up a steep mountain on the way back to school my car started feeling a little sluggish. By the time I was near the top I had a noticable stumble all across the RPM range. I pulled off turned my lights off and looked under the hood. I didn't see any arcing until I happened to look around the intake elbow and noticed my coil wire arcing badly. It looked like a strobe light was right near where the coil wire plugged into the opti. Do I just need to replace the wire and be done with it or is there anything else I should look at?
    1994 Firebird Formula, M6, Fan switch, 160 thermostat, Pacesetter LT headers, Morosso CAI, TB bypass, True duals.

The wire would be a good start.
    Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

Originally posted by 94 formula
      Tonight while going up a steep mountain on the way back to school my car started feeling a little sluggish. By the time I was near the top I had a noticable stumble all across the RPM range. I pulled off turned my lights off and looked under the hood. I didn't see any arcing until I happened to look around the intake elbow and noticed my coil wire arcing badly. It looked like a strobe light was right near where the coil wire plugged into the opti. Do I just need to replace the wire and be done with it or is there anything else I should look at?

I would replace all the plug wires. It is likely time.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
        I would replace all the plug wires. It is likely time.
        Plug wires don't have 4k miles on them yet. I changed plugs and wires when I put in the new engine this summer it was a lot easier routing them and putting in plugs with the engine out. The coil and opti don't have 5k miles on them so I guess the coil wire is the last origional piece of the ignition left I just overlooked doing that with the rest.
        1994 Firebird Formula, M6, Fan switch, 160 thermostat, Pacesetter LT headers, Morosso CAI, TB bypass, True duals.

Comment

Originally posted by 94 formula
          Plug wires don't have 4k miles on them yet. I changed plugs and wires when I put in the new engine this summer it was a lot easier routing them and putting in plugs with the engine out. The coil and opti don't have 5k miles on them so I guess the coil wire is the last origional piece of the ignition left I just overlooked doing that with the rest.
          I have also seen instances of the metal boot protectors causing a grounding of the ignition energy. Mine was arcing at the coil pretty badly until I removed the boot protectors and replace with taylor firesleeves. Not saying that is your problem, just be aware that it can happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
            I have also seen instances of the metal boot protectors causing a grounding of the ignition energy. Mine was arcing at the coil pretty badly until I removed the boot protectors and replace with taylor firesleeves. Not saying that is your problem, just be aware that it can happen.

I took my boots off when I did my headers last year. They were almost touching the boots and I figured that may cause arcing. I periodically check my wires just to make sure have burnt and so far they look fine.

Comment

Working...
            X