Homemade CAI

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homemade CAI

Hello everyone. I'd like to introduce myself, being as this is my first post. My name is John, i own a 1997 V6 3.8L V6 Camaro Y87. I bought the car in June and am looking at putting in a custom cold air intake before winter hits. My stock intake has very restrictive points, as anyone who owns the V6 model will know. Most CAI kits do very little to fix restriction points specifically the elbow thats near a corner that pokes into the way of the connecting piece from the air filter housing to the throttle body. The kits that i do like are around 200 dollars, and being that im a broke college student, i dont have that kind of money to throw around. Not to mention being able to fabricate something just as good on my own by going to Lowes a few times would feel good. Id also have an excuse to hang out with the guys, ditch the g/f, and drink a case of beer. So feel free to share ideas, pictures, good advice, or if you just wanna call me an idiot, please do so.
    Thank you in advance,
    John
    1994 formula A4 w/ 84,XXX MI, bone stock except MSD wires and NGK TR5 plugs

The cheap/ghetto cai that I made for my old TA was made from 3 (or 3.5in) pvc piping and some rubber pipe bends. The rubber pipe bends are in the plumbing section at home depot or lowes. Just go and measure how much pvc you need and it really helps if you draw out a sketch of how you want the pipe to go. The most expesive part will be the air filter. Just make sure all of the connections are air tight.
    1989 TA
    Flowmaster exhaust
    Ghetto CAI

1994 TA GT
    K&N CAI
    Magnaflow catback

www.nkyfba.com

Comment

Excellent idea, but instead of pvc piping what about using all rubber tubing, seeing that it is so flexable. There are places i can screw in supports for the hose and the K&N cone filter. Would the rubber create more air resitriction in comparision to the pcv?
      Thanks again
      1994 formula A4 w/ 84,XXX MI, bone stock except MSD wires and NGK TR5 plugs

Comment

it might collapse or crack
        2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

If you can weld do it out of aluminized Muffler Pipe with good mandrel bends. Then polish it up really nice like, and clear coat it.

Eric W.

89 Firebird Formula WS6
          Accel/Lingenfelter Super Ram
          6.2L/382.97 ci
          Custom PROM Dyno tuned
          WCT-5 speed
          BW 9-bolt Posi 3.45
          Boss MS 18" Rims
          Headman Headers 1 5/8 Ceramic Coated
          Custom Dual exhaust
          1LE upgrade
          Custom Temperature / Navigation Rear View Mirror