Gas gauge problem?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas gauge problem?

My car sat up for about 2 weeks because of hurricane Rita. Once I got back I started driving my Z28 on a daily basis, right before the storm I filled my tank and added some fuel injector cleaner to the mix. When I got back I just drove my car back and fourth to work (less than 5 miles round trip). Well, recently I have noticed my gas gauge is becoming a little erratic but at the same time sloshing in the tank can cause these gauges to bounce wildly. Well, a few days ago I turned my car over and my needle went from a little above the half way to past F and then came back down. I went and put $20 in my car yesterday (needle went to F) and now I have put about 50 miles on my car and the gauge shows I have burned a little more then a 1/8 of a tank. Does it sounds like my gas gauge shot or am I overreacting here?
    1995 Camaro Z28 Convertible.

The f-body gas gauge is a terrible thing.

Mine reads a full 1/4 tank beyond full after I fill it. Like 5/4??

When it gets to 3/4 it is half empty. The last 1/4 tank goes really fast.

I'm considering filling the tank, pulling the needle off the gauge and pressing it back on at F. I've nerver run out of gas, but when it hits E it is empty, there is no reserve.

What would bother me most about your fuel gauge situation is that it just recently decided to behave differently. What changed?
    Tracy
    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
    Current Mods:
    SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

TraceZ thats a common thing for a Chevrolet, my 95 silverado's gas guage does the same thing, and my 05 colorado guage goes past full but the second half tank doesnt go down as fast as the silverado's.
      1994 Z28 Camaro-Project carbed 4th gen
      1995 Silverado-beater truck
      2005 Colorado Z71-Daily driver

Comment

Thanks for the info. I was just kind of spooked cause the way my gas gauges spiked for no reason when I started my car. It has never done that before.

Comment

Does the gas light ever turn on when your tank is almost empty? Ive had mine on E before and the light never turned on in either of the TA's ive had

SOLD 1995 Trans AM 6 Speed 68k Miles - Ram Air, Borla Cat-Back, AR TTII's, JL Audio W6v2 Stealthbox and 500/1 MonoBlock Amp, Alpine Component Speaker Systems

Comment

Originally posted by Jeanius
            Does the gas light ever turn on when your tank is almost empty? Ive had mine on E before and the light never turned on in either of the TA's ive had
            I have a 95 Z28 and I have never seen a place for a gas light.

Comment

There is no gas gauge light in my 96 t/a. I think GM forgot about something.
              1996 Trans Am:T-tops,graphite leather,16" chrome T/A rims, Nitto's, Descreened MAF, Morosso CAI, hypertech, flowtech cut out, 1LE elbow, Silver BMR tubular SFC's, 160 thermo, limo tint, harwood ws6 hood, !side molding, Stage 2 trans.

Looking for a driver side window.

Comment

Originally posted by TraceZ
                The f-body gas gauge is a terrible thing.

Mine reads a full 1/4 tank beyond full after I fill it. Like 5/4??

When it gets to 3/4 it is half empty. The last 1/4 tank goes really fast.
                Haha, my 94 Caprice does that EXACT same thing I haven't noticed it much with my 92 bird though.
                Greg W. in West Michigan
                1992 Formula WS6-A/R Rims, Stock L05 swap, Former Abuse Victim
                1983 Z28-Parts car- *Sold*
                1984 Z28-305 HO Auto *Sold*
                1986 Camaro-V-6 5Spd *Sold*
                1984 Camaro-V-6 Auto *Sold*
                <Motor out

Comment

mine does that too, but hey i kinda like it, makes me feel like i have lots of gas lol. Just gotta keep an eye on it, make sure it doesnt get to low, but me probably like a lot of us here never let the gas get below 1/2-1/4 of a tank anyway.
                  -Dan

1986 350 TPI Trans Am, 700R-4, Flowmaster exhaust, CAI, 180* t/stat, low temp fan switch, SFC's....Sold.

Project Status: LT1 disassembled, researching costs, searching for project car.

Comment

Working...
                  X