3" catback questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3" catback questions

Ok, so after finally getting my car up on the stand, I find that what I thought was only tips or maybe a muffler is actually a flowmaster 3" catback. While I'm slightly excited about the find, I'm now facing a dilemma.

I had planned on putting on either a GMMG or Borla catback when I thought I didn't have one. Now that I've found the Flowmaster, I have some question.s Is a flowmaster that inferior to the other two? Do the increased flow rates of Borla or GMMG provide a noticable performance increase? Also at present the car is pretty much stock so the Flowmaster sounds great, but I'm planning on putting LTs and ORYs and dropping in a cam. Will the flowmaster work well with those potential changes or do I need to go ahead and spend the money for a better catback?

Thanks in advance.
    '01 Black TA, M6 Factory Hurst, flowmaster cat backs

Originally posted by jsturdivant
    Ok, so after finally getting my car up on the stand, I find that what I thought was only tips or maybe a muffler is actually a flowmaster 3" catback. While I'm slightly excited about the find, I'm now facing a dilemma.

I had planned on putting on either a GMMG or Borla catback when I thought I didn't have one. Now that I've found the Flowmaster, I have some question.s Is a flowmaster that inferior to the other two? Do the increased flow rates of Borla or GMMG provide a noticable performance increase? Also at present the car is pretty much stock so the Flowmaster sounds great, but I'm planning on putting LTs and ORYs and dropping in a cam. Will the flowmaster work well with those potential changes or do I need to go ahead and spend the money for a better catback?

Thanks in advance.
    Go GMMG and ditch the flowmaster. You haven't heard an exhaust sound sweeter. It sounds mean throughout the whole rpm range, not raspy at all. And at highway crusing speeds, it is not overbearing at all. I'm extremely pleased. I am slightly biased though, but you'll be sold if you ever hear one in person.

Again, I am new at all this, but I would imagine if you are going with LT's & ORY, you'd definately want a better catback. Yes, Flow numbers are indeed better with the gmmg or borla, and the more exhaust flow you have the more HP you will get. Get ready to drop some cash though if you buy a GMMG or borla. .... not cheap.

I bought my GMMG used (1 year old) and saved a hell of alot of cash. It's stainless steal, and does not rust, so it basically sounds & looks the same as if I bought it brand new.

I'm curious to hear some other responses... good luck!
    1997 Trans Am WS6 Black M6
    370 RWHP / 352 TQ
    CC306 & Comp behives, LT1 Extreme Duty timing set, 1.6 RR's, CSR Elec Water Pump, Pacesetter LT's & ORY, GMMG w/ Ovals, K&N, Air Foil, TB Bypass, !AIR, !EGR, !CAGS, 160 deg thermo, LT4 KM, PCM tuning by Total-ReCal, March Pullies, Pro 5.0, 4.11 gears, LS1 alum DS, BMR strut tower brace, UMI SFC's, LCA's w/relo brackets & panhard

Comment

This is soming from my own personal opinion but I hate flow master with a burning passion. Their catbacks IMO have way to much rasp on the top end.
      1995 Camaro Z28 Convertible.

Comment

Working...
      X