Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's talk ignitions...

Hey all....

Again, let me remind all of you I'm still learning all I can about F-bod's in general.... so bare with me

A few basic questions :

1) What would the benefits be of upgrading to an aftermarket ignition like an MSD?

2) Will it work with the optispark?

3) Would this even be a good mod for me to attempt?

4) If you answered 'yes' to # 3, what kind of ignition would you recommend?

Thanks all!
    1997 Trans Am WS6 Black M6
    370 RWHP / 352 TQ
    CC306 & Comp behives, LT1 Extreme Duty timing set, 1.6 RR's, CSR Elec Water Pump, Pacesetter LT's & ORY, GMMG w/ Ovals, K&N, Air Foil, TB Bypass, !AIR, !EGR, !CAGS, 160 deg thermo, LT4 KM, PCM tuning by Total-ReCal, March Pullies, Pro 5.0, 4.11 gears, LS1 alum DS, BMR strut tower brace, UMI SFC's, LCA's w/relo brackets & panhard

1. The benefits are very small unless your running something like nitrous or forced induction.

2. Yes, most after-market system will work with the Opti. However, I have heard (have seen no proof of this myself) that after-market ignition systems do shorten the life of the Opti.

3. I see you don't have headers, I would recommend spending money on those first before any kind of ignition system.

4.(for the heck of it) IMO I like Accel and on paper they seem to give the biggest increase in power. But In reality MSD, Accel, and other companies like Crane Cams are all in the same league.
    1995 Camaro Z28 Convertible.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerwin Vega Fan

2. Yes, most after-market system will work with the Opti. However, I have heard (have seen no proof of this myself) that after-market ignition systems do shorten the life of the Opti.

The rotors tend to fry when subjected to multispark/capacitive discharge at 6500 rpm and up. I've had mine for over 40K miles with 0 problems, but I am using it at the stock rpm limits.

Comment

you mean optispark wont hold?

Joe:

I need to go beyond 7200 rpm on a s/c engine. I know a friend who installed an MSD distributor in a ´97z28 for serious drag racing. This is an LT1 block same as mine. And terror... My car has already a Crane equivalent to MSD. Would somebody of you suggest a replacement for the OptiSpark system?

Lordvader
        1997 z28 ex Pony Express racer ( amateur rally and track day car now ) w/ 383 LT1, V1-T s/c, Victor Jr. heads, Engle custom cam, Accel DFI, Alcon 14" / Baer 13" brakes, Strange rr. axle. Full roll cage, seats and belts.

´71 Camaro L-48 ex-vintage track day racer clone, ´71 AMC Javelin, ´69 Plymouth Barracuda 340 clone, ´70 Barracuda project car, ´69 Shelby Mustang GT350 project car, ´94 Mustang GT s/c track day car.

Self portrait: Nowadays more a collector than a racer . Still crazy for those Trans-Am races.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
          The rotors tend to fry when subjected to multispark/capacitive discharge at 6500 rpm and up. I've had mine for over 40K miles with 0 problems, but I am using it at the stock rpm limits.

MSD spark lasts for 20 degrees of crankshaft rotation no matter the RPM, but the higher the RPMs the less it multisparks due to the lack of time. I think at 6500 and up it would definetly be single sparking.
          1994 Z28 Camaro-Project carbed 4th gen
          1995 Silverado-beater truck
          2005 Colorado Z71-Daily driver

Comment

Originally posted by LORDVADER
            Joe:

...Would somebody of you suggest a replacement for the OptiSpark system?

Lordvader
            You have a couple of choices.....

-Dynaspark - simply an upgraded Opti with beefier construction. Billet case, upgraded bearing, better seals. About $600.

http://www.dynotech-eng.com/dynaspark.htm

-LTCC - Uses only the optical sensor in the Opti case, sends the signal to a black box that combines the optical data with the tmiing signal from the PCM to fire 8 individual LS1-type coils in direct fire. About $400 for the box and harness, you provide the coils.

http://www.bailey-eng.com/LTCC.html

-Delteq - Similar to the LTCC, using the optical sensor signals, to a black box, that merges with the PCM spark signal to fire a Northstar ignition module with four "waste spark" coils, firing two cylinders at a time. About $695 complete with coils and Northstar module. $365 if you find your own Northstar parts.

http://www.delteq.com/

-Electromotive Opti-Eliminator/Super Direct Ignition - I only mention this because I was one of only abuot 20 people who actually bought this. Totally eliminated the Opti, using a chip to synthesize the Opti pulse signals from a crank timing wheel. The stock PCM spark signal was used to drive an Electromotive module with four waste spark coils. Only problem was since it used a crank signal to synthesize the Opti pulse signals, it was possible for the sequential fuel injection timing to be one crank rotation out of phase - enough to trip the misfire detection in the OBD-II cars. They stopped making it. Approx $800 new, but someone must still have one for sale used.

-Aftermarket ECU's that can function with the Opti optical signals - My approach, using a MoTeC M48Pro ECU and their IEX 8-channel ignition driver to fire 8 LS1-style coils in direct fire. Unfortunately very pricey, unless you happen to need the MoTeC for other functions (and find a used unit for 1/2-price) like a dry nitrous setup.... about $4,000 for the whole bag of tricks.
            Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Originally posted by 94Z/28
              MSD spark lasts for 20 degrees of crankshaft rotation no matter the RPM, but the higher the RPMs the less it multisparks due to the lack of time. I think at 6500 and up it would definetly be single sparking.
              And that has to do with what? What I stated in the above post is based on a large amount of cap/rotor failure by folks that are turning those types of RPMs. There is considerable evidence that suggests this, the failure rate of stock type rpms is small, the failure rate of high rpms is large. For whatever reason, there is little doubt that this tendency is present.

Comment

Optispark upgrade

Friends:

I am very thankful for your answers. This car has an Accel DFI gen 5 system, and there are things about this car I don´t know yet because I bought it used. Furthermore, the engine is at overhaul by my builder and he is about to start assembly. I am still learning from it.

It took me the previous 3 years to find out, purchase and get home several upgraded engine components , things like an SFI flywheel, Jesel shaft rocker arm kit, engine parts coatings, etc. During this time the car has not been in use and you wouldn´t believe I have spent more than $5,000 to this date on parts.

At this moment, when I believe everything is complete, I find that, yes! I have forgotten the OptiSpark ignition issue, which somebody before told me they were not reliable, especially on above factory RPM range operation and required upgrading.

My question is: Do anybody know if I can use the Accel DFI to handle the OPtiSpark job reliably or is there some other system more than the ones already mentioned?

I would like to make a detailed explanation of all the equipment installed in this car, but maybe is too long to write at the forum, things like trans. and rr. axle oil coolers and pumps. You tell me.

Many thanks again.

Lordvader.
                1997 z28 ex Pony Express racer ( amateur rally and track day car now ) w/ 383 LT1, V1-T s/c, Victor Jr. heads, Engle custom cam, Accel DFI, Alcon 14" / Baer 13" brakes, Strange rr. axle. Full roll cage, seats and belts.

´71 Camaro L-48 ex-vintage track day racer clone, ´71 AMC Javelin, ´69 Plymouth Barracuda 340 clone, ´70 Barracuda project car, ´69 Shelby Mustang GT350 project car, ´94 Mustang GT s/c track day car.

Self portrait: Nowadays more a collector than a racer . Still crazy for those Trans-Am races.

Comment

Originally posted by LORDVADER
                  Friends:

I am very thankful for your answers. This car has an Accel DFI gen 5 system, and there are things about this car I don´t know yet because I bought it used. Furthermore, the engine is at overhaul by my builder and he is about to start assembly. I am still learning from it.

It took me the previous 3 years to find out, purchase and get home several upgraded engine components , things like an SFI flywheel, Jesel shaft rocker arm kit, engine parts coatings, etc. During this time the car has not been in use and you wouldn´t believe I have spent more than $5,000 to this date on parts.

At this moment, when I believe everything is complete, I find that, yes! I have forgotten the OptiSpark ignition issue, which somebody before told me they were not reliable, especially on above factory RPM range operation and required upgrading.

My question is: Do anybody know if I can use the Accel DFI to handle the OPtiSpark job reliably or is there some other system more than the ones already mentioned?

I would like to make a detailed explanation of all the equipment installed in this car, but maybe is too long to write at the forum, things like trans. and rr. axle oil coolers and pumps. You tell me.

Many thanks again.

Lordvader.
                  The accel/dfi gen 5 system should be able to run a ls1 style 8 coil setup but it needs an add on module to do it.

Eric W.

89 Firebird Formula WS6
                  Accel/Lingenfelter Super Ram
                  6.2L/382.97 ci
                  Custom PROM Dyno tuned
                  WCT-5 speed
                  BW 9-bolt Posi 3.45
                  Boss MS 18" Rims
                  Headman Headers 1 5/8 Ceramic Coated
                  Custom Dual exhaust
                  1LE upgrade
                  Custom Temperature / Navigation Rear View Mirror