Weaknesses of F-Bodies?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weaknesses of F-Bodies?

If I wanted to spend some money on my 1997 Pontiac Firebird WS-6, LT1, what are some weaknesses I should focus on?

I was thinking of picking up a Flowmaster cat-back system to start.

What are somethings I can focus on improving?
    1997 Pontiac Firebird T/A WS6
    Black, stock

Originally posted by rhummer37
    If I wanted to spend some money on my 1997 Pontiac Firebird WS-6, LT1, what are some weaknesses I should focus on?

I was thinking of picking up a Flowmaster cat-back system to start.

What are somethings I can focus on improving?
    What are your goals? straight line acceleration or handleing?
    For either sub frame connectors are a good place to start.
    The exhaust is really restrictive so a cat back is good too.
    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff 95 Z28
      What are your goals? straight line acceleration or handleing?
      For either sub frame connectors are a good place to start.
      The exhaust is really restrictive so a cat back is good too.
      I second that. I would shy away from Flowmaster myself. There are many other cat-backs around that will give you a better sound and better performance for around the same cost, sometimes cheaper. Also, unless you plan on swapping it out, strengthening the rear is sometimes a good idea. A good cold air kit will help as well, along with better lower control arms for the rear. If you're working on a budget, let us know. We can always whip up a quick list
      Steve
      79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
      87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
      93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
      http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

The weakest stock part of an f-body is the rearend. The first upgrade though should be subframe connectors. Why? $139 versus more like $2,500
        "No, officer, that bottle is my onboard Halon system"

Comment

Subframe connectors are always good.

Catback will give you customized looks, sound, AND performance. WS6 exhaust should be less restrictive than the stock T/A, though not as good as a 3" catback.

If you have a manual than I'd suggest upgrading the shifter.

The rear differential is the week point in the powertrain, but if you have an auto, that should take some stress off of it. I'd only worry about it if you were making repeated drag runs with a set of really sticky tires or if you have a manual and like to do high rpm clutch drops...
          Joe K.
          '11 BMW 328i
          '10 Matrix S AWD
          Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

Originally posted by Steve93Z
            I second that. I would shy away from Flowmaster myself. There are many other cat-backs around that will give you a better sound and better performance for around the same cost, sometimes cheaper. Also, unless you plan on swapping it out, strengthening the rear is sometimes a good idea. A good cold air kit will help as well, along with better lower control arms for the rear. If you're working on a budget, let us know. We can always whip up a quick list
            Which exhaust companies do you like better? The system on their now is working fine, so I do not want to spend too much money on a new system.

And do you think a K&N or SLP cold air intake would work much better than the Ram Air system Pontiac gave me?
            1997 Pontiac Firebird T/A WS6
            Black, stock

Comment

Which exhaust companies do you like better? The system on their now is working fine, so I do not want to spend too much money on a new system.
              Inexpensive:
              Magnaflow
              SLP Loudmouth (raspy sound though)
              Random Technology
              Hooker
              Spintech

Expensive:
              Corsa
              GMMG
              Borla

I personally like the Spintech catback as far as sound and they are cheaper than the more expensive catbacks.

And do you think a K&N or SLP cold air intake would work much better than the Ram Air system Pontiac gave me?
              No. The Ram Air actually inhibits pressure drop within the intake tract. And it already is providing the motor with cool outside air.

Comment

You can also go with the Loudmouth 2, which is quieter and less "raspy" than the orig. Loudmouth and they're the same price. I've got a modified Loudmouth with a Sweet Thunder steel pack...I have yet to have someone tell me my car doesn't sound good (although some don't like the "noise" lol ).
                Steve
                79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
                87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
                93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
                http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

i've had 4 of the above and now its the borla ajust. and ill NEVER go back its worth the money once vrs the thousands wasted on elimination
                  1994 Z28 stage 2 intercooled procharger, P-1sc, 6lb pully,42lbfuel injectors,255intank pump,1 3/4headers,highflow cat, borla ajust. cat back,chrome moly LCA,chrome moly ajust. panhard bar, Kenny Brownweld-in subframe conectors, built trans. kevlar lined 2600 stall, kevlar clutches, hardend parts,,built rearend; moser axles, eaton posi, richmond 3.42 gears, rare ROH ZR6 17* 9.5 wheels, custom computer tune with laptop and LT1edit , 380rwhp 395rwtq , 60' 1.71, 1/8th 8.00,1/412.60@109mph

Comment

Working...
                  X