Curious about a noise

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Curious about a noise

When I first start up my car for the first 5 min or so I hear a high pitched whine. It's not overly loud and I always thought that it was the fuel pump but it just hit me that the fuel pump would be running the whole time that the car is on. So it must not be that. Could it be the EGR valve? Any ideas?

It's on the 94 btw
    1989 TA
    Flowmaster exhaust
    Ghetto CAI

1994 TA GT
    K&N CAI
    Magnaflow catback

www.nkyfba.com

I'd guess its your air pump. My brothers air pump on his 99 Z28 did exactly that till he had it tuned out.
    1994 Firebird Formula, M6, Fan switch, 160 thermostat, Pacesetter LT headers, Morosso CAI, TB bypass, True duals.

Comment

could be a loose belt
      2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

It's an electric motor type of whine. The really high pitched type, almost like an old tv screen type of whine. The air pump only runs for the first few minutes until operating temp is reached doesn't it?
        1989 TA
        Flowmaster exhaust
        Ghetto CAI

1994 TA GT
        K&N CAI
        Magnaflow catback

www.nkyfba.com

Comment

Originally posted by Disifer
          It's an electric motor type of whine. The really high pitched type, almost like an old tv screen type of whine. The air pump only runs for the first few minutes until operating temp is reached doesn't it?
          The only function of the air pump is to push air into your cats to warm them up for the first few minutes the vehicle is running. Don't quote me on this but I think it shuts off when you hit closed loop, if its not then its around that time. The air pump is located under the coil on the drivers side font of the engine. Start your car with the hood up and listen for it to see if that is what the problem is because from what you are describing that sounds like the culprit. Also you could pull the fuse to your air pump before starting the car and see if it gets rid of the noise.
          1994 Firebird Formula, M6, Fan switch, 160 thermostat, Pacesetter LT headers, Morosso CAI, TB bypass, True duals.

Comment

Chalk up another point for the air pump. My caprice does the same thing for the first few minutes of warm-up.
            Greg W. in West Michigan
            1992 Formula WS6-A/R Rims, Stock L05 swap, Former Abuse Victim
            1983 Z28-Parts car- *Sold*
            1984 Z28-305 HO Auto *Sold*
            1986 Camaro-V-6 5Spd *Sold*
            1984 Camaro-V-6 Auto *Sold*
            <Motor out

Comment

Yes i agree also, my 2000 trans am does it. Very emmbrasing at school. Their are some pretty easy mods to get reid of it. Which im getting ready to do.
              2000 trans am auto, Afr 205,tr 220/220 112, mti lid, 160t,umi sfc,hooker headers and ory y,loud mouth. bellow,pr's,harland rockers,new lifters,ls6 oilpump,rollermaster doubler roller, msd wires.

Comment

Just unplug it, but leave the fuse in place. As long as the fuse is good you will not get a SES light. This only applies to OBDI cars.
                Tracy
                2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                Current Mods:
                SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Working...
                X