Clutch Brands ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch Brands ?

What clutch package would be the best bang for the $. I have heard the spec clutches are good but they're expensive. How are the RAM clutches? And what other brands and prices can you guys give me. Now keep in mind that I plan to probly put a cam in the car someday, and dont really feel like dishing out the $ for a new clutch then. So what would be my best bet?
    96 Camaro Z28, T-tops, 6 Speed, Slp CIA, Flowmaster cat-back, 3:42 gears

The top sellers are SPEC, McLeod, Ram, Centerforce, SLP, and Zoom.

If you are replacing the pressure plate, disc, and throwout bearing, the SLP is a decent bang for the buck replacement. T-Byrne Motorsports (a sponsor) sells the SLP clutch kits.

SPEC makes a good clutch, but the Stage 1-3 have the springs and there are plenty of posts citing broken springs.

As far as the RAM, I have also heard of people having to machine the clutch fork pivot bushing to prevent the clutch fork from hitting the pressure plate.

You are going to always hear the stories of clutch failures. But, I would say for the money SLP and McLeod are going to be a good choice.

Comment

I installed a centerforce on my old car (91 Camaro). It also had a 350 that I installed and it worked perfectly. It was easy to operate and never slipped, even at redline dumps into 2nd. I cant say however anything about longevity, the car was only on the road for a few months.
      1980 Camaro w/ ZZ4, most of the info is correct... www.pitt.edu/~hhh1

Comment

How much is the whole slp set up? And any links would be appreciated.

Comment

I run spec in both my cars. Awesome clutch. Stay away from centerforce.
          97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

Originally posted by 96Camaro
            How much is the whole slp set up? And any links would be appreciated.
            http://www.tbyrnemotorsports.com/lt1/lt1transgears.html

Looks to be approx $345 plus shipping for the PP, disk, and throwout bearing.

I know a few guys running around with dual friction Centerforce's and they love them. Alot of it has to do with how well the clutch is installed and the syatem bled and adjusted properly.

Comment

Any good tips for installing clutches? first time doing one and want to do it right.

Comment

Can someone give me a description of what slipping and chattering feel like? I think my clutch is chattering in 3rd and 5th sometimes, it just started outta nowhere. Ill shift from 2nd to 3rd and push the gas a little and it wont go anywhere or rev up, then it finally kicks in with a little more gas and gets going, happened once about a week ago shifting from 2nd to 3rd and twice today, shifting from 2nd to 3rd and 4th into 5th

SOLD 1995 Trans AM 6 Speed 68k Miles - Ram Air, Borla Cat-Back, AR TTII's, JL Audio W6v2 Stealthbox and 500/1 MonoBlock Amp, Alpine Component Speaker Systems

Comment

Well, one way i tested my clutch was i was on the highway going about 65 mph or so. Then i just went in on theclutch and reved up to about 5k and dumped the clutch while staying on the gas, and my rpms stayed at about 4k for a moment, droped to 3k for a moment, and eventualy got to about 1700 or w/e it should be for that speed. And I could even smell it burned up. And i dont think a good clutch would do that at all.

Comment

I have a Spec Stage 3 and love it. It feels almost just like stock. My boyfriend's friend also has the same clutch in his LT1 and its a bit harder to get used to then in an LS1. He also installed both the clutches. All the bad stuff people have said about the Spec are before the X-pad which now they all come with. Also as far as the chattering that some talk about is non existant. As far as price I got the clutch and Steel Billet Flywheel for $598.

2000 Formula
                    Custom flame job, SLP Headers & ORY-pipe, Whisper Lid, Free Air Mod, Ported MAF, Loud Mouth Cat Back, BMR LCA's, Other stuff that Im too lazy to list right now

Comment

Where did you get the package with the flywheel and all of that for under 600$?

Comment

Working...
                      X