Bose Sound System

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bose Sound System

So I have the Bose system in my car, and wanted to do a little upgrading of the head unit to make things look a little snazzier. Now my father is telling me, that with the Bose system an aftermarket head unit just wont work becuase of the amplifier in the back/hatch speaker.

Should I go by what he says or is there a way, and has anyone else done it. It doesnt seem like it would be that comlicated to do.
    -----------------------
    1994 Camaro
    -----------------------
    3.4 SFI
    Z28 interior
    Imco Exaust(its okay)
    Dynotech Racing chip(waste)

-----------------------------
    1978 Firebird Formula
    -----------------------------
    Pontiac 350
    Turbo 350 Transmission
    Edelbrock Performer Intake Manifold
    Edelbrock 4 Barrel Carb.
    Edelbrock 14" Air Cleaner
    Edelbrock Valve Covers
    Flowmaster Dual Exaust

The Bose head unit has line level outputs. The amps are remote mounted.

I have a Kenwood head unit in mine and I use the stock amps and speakers. Some one else on here has a stock Head unit and uses an aftermarket amp and speakers. So yes it can be done and it's really pretty easy.

What I did was buy a wiring harness adapter. I went to radio shack and bought some RCA jacks. I soldered the jacks on the wiring harness to the speaker leads. I plugged the RCA jacks into the line level outputs on the back of the head unit. I wired the power as normal. It works perfect. It sounds better too. More highs and lows. That's the easiest and quickest way to do it.

A better sounding way would be to bypass the remote amps and take the speaker level outputs from the radio right into the speakers. Obviously the Bose speakers suck so replacing them helps too. However if you do this you will loose your sub unless you wire it separately to the sub output from the head unit. (The crossover for the sub is built into the rear channel amp.)

I tired to replace my speakers with 4 ohm speakers while still using the factory amps and it's not quite as loud. I measured the stock speakers and they measured 3.2 ohms so the stock speakers need less power to drive them. So I just left them as stock. Some day I may change it but my head unit does not have amps in it so I would have to add an aftermarket amp which I have but there is no good place to put it that is out of the way.

I hope this helps.
    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff 95 Z28
      The Bose head unit has line level outputs. The amps are remote mounted.

I have a Kenwood head unit in mine and I use the stock amps and speakers. Some one else on here has a stock Head unit and uses an aftermarket amp and speakers. So yes it can be done and it's really pretty easy.

What I did was buy a wiring harness adapter. I went to radio shack and bought some RCA jacks. I soldered the jacks on the wiring harness to the speaker leads. I plugged the RCA jacks into the line level outputs on the back of the head unit. I wired the power as normal. It works perfect. It sounds better too. More highs and lows. That's the easiest and quickest way to do it.

A better sounding way would be to bypass the remote amps and take the speaker level outputs from the radio right into the speakers. Obviously the Bose speakers suck so replacing them helps too. However if you do this you will loose your sub unless you wire it separately to the sub output from the head unit. (The crossover for the sub is built into the rear channel amp.)

I tired to replace my speakers with 4 ohm speakers while still using the factory amps and it's not quite as loud. I measured the stock speakers and they measured 3.2 ohms so the stock speakers need less power to drive them. So I just left them as stock. Some day I may change it but my head unit does not have amps in it so I would have to add an aftermarket amp which I have but there is no good place to put it that is out of the way.

I hope this helps.
      I have the stock Bose head and aftermarket amp / speakers. I also went to radio shack anb bought a harness adapter, then I went to the salvage yard and got a radio pigtail. I used the two along with some RCA jacks from Radio Shack to make an adapter that allowed use of my equipment.

It works perfectly, looks stock and sounds awsome.
      Tracy
      2002 C5 M6 Convertible
      1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
      Current Mods:
      SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Working...
      X