rear end noise

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rear end noise

I recently installed an aluminum differential cover with stud girdles on my 8.5" 10 bolt. When i torked the stud girdles to specs (5 ft-lbs) the rear end started making a slight whining noise. The noise only occurs when the rear end is under load. Any thoughts?
    1980 Camaro w/ ZZ4, most of the info is correct... www.pitt.edu/~hhh1

How did you measure the 5 lb-ft (I'm assuming thats for the bearing cap pre-load bolts)? That's only 60 lb-in, and difficult to measure. Try backing the pre-load bolts out, and simply hand-tightening them to see if the whine goes away.
    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

i used an inch pound torque wrench with an allen key socket.
      1980 Camaro w/ ZZ4, most of the info is correct... www.pitt.edu/~hhh1

Comment

I set mine up a little differently. I tightened the preload bolts until they simply touched....p[erhaps just a hair tighter, then locked them down. Don't know if that was right or wrong, there were no instructions. It just made sense because they are only designed to restrict movement and not for additional holding torque. In any case, no noise associated with the install.

Comment

Working...
        X